Timer1

I have a sketch that has several independent selectable functions: one of which is a simple frequency counter that uses pulseIn(8,HIGH) plus pulseIn(8.LOW) to measure the pulse period. It works well at low frequencies but around 100Khz and up it varies a lot. Doesnt this pulseIn() function use Timer1? The reason I ask is that I have another function in the sketch which is a pulse generator, that I think also uses counter 1, based on the commands
bool success=SetPinFrequency(9,freqcy);
and pulse width using: pwmWrite(PULSE, pulse_width);

You would think that only one of these functions should work at a time, and you would get an error message for trying to compile both simultaneously. Yet I've connected the output of PulseGen to the FreqCounter and it works, however that also is a flaky around 100Khz and up. I've spent a good time trying to figure out what causes the variations in the measure frequency, but havent found anything.

I wish there was a reference to all these libraries that defined their limitations & the hardware they require.
Any ideas about whats going on?

Why not look at the function in the library?

100,000 Hz is 10 microseconds per cycle. Since the pulseIn() is only accurate to a microsecond or two you're getting to about 10% error at those frequencies.

Quite true that the resolution is now much worse and any small pulse variation will make a big difference in the measured results. I will need to add a prescaler to improve the resolution at high frequencies.