TinkerKit?

Hello.
What type of advantages does TinkerKit offer? Is it worth it?

For US$110 for the base level it seems way pricey to me.

Advantages or disadvantages is a hard thing to answer. I personally would consider the "advantage" of having premade cables and modules that go together easily and don't require a breadboard to be a disadvantage because I think sticking stuff in a breadboard and learning to tell an anode from a cathode and just mucking about with the parts is good stuff. I acknowledge that it can be frustrating, however, trying to get stuff to JUST WORK and that is what that product is all about.

Th reason I was asking this is because there is a really good price on ebay with the basic kit, lcd, and dmx shield for $40.

Thank you for including all the pertinant information with your initial post.

saivishnu2299:
Hello.
What type of advantages does TinkerKit offer?

You don’t need a breadboard.

saivishnu2299:
Is it worth it?

That’s up to you…

Just had a look at the tinker kit now, personally I think if you are aiming this at a high school, teen, or even child the tinker kit might be worth it since it looks quite simplified. For an adult if you’re looking for an easy way to build a few things it would probably be up your alley as well, but it just seems a bit out of place otherwise. Half of the reason in buying an arduino is being able to learn and build anything you want, and while I think the tinker kit may help supplement that, it just sort of feels like a very highly supported and expensive way to get a few extra components and a shield.

If you understand some basic electronics though I would probably only suggest it if you had physical problems with using an actual breadboard. Otherwise for me, not worth it.

bigred1212:
Thank you for including all the pertinant information with your initial post.

hahaha that made me chuckle a bit.

Skip the TinkerKit. This is what I'm doing:

Bought the book Make: Electronics (Learning by Discovery) by Platt.

Assembled my own kit based on the "Shopping Lists" in that book (and other tutorials on the internet) and got a ton of components for great prices from Tayda Electronics, JameCo, and Ebay.

Just my advice.