TinyGPS Read Speed change

Hi,

I am trying to setup a SKM53 module using TinyGPS+ library to as an altimeter to sense gradient change to deploy a chute on a rocket. The output from tinygps defaults to output the sentences at 1 s increments. Can I change the speed that I access this data? Ideally I would like a fast sample rate (10-100 Hz) of altitude so that I could smooth after and extract gradient change.

Thanks for any help

(I am very new to arduino so apologies if this is simple question)

Nope, you're stuck at 1Hz. Sorry.

Some GPS units can output at 10Hz, or you could use a pressure sensor (altimeter) instead.

jremington - yes a pressure sensor is fallback but would like to incorporate a gps module for tracking purposes anyway would be lighter to only use 1 sensor. You mentioned some units output at 10 hz The sampling rate then is determined by sensor or software?

Thx

benmc83:
jremington - yes a pressure sensor is fallback but would like to incorporate a gps module for tracking purposes anyway would be lighter to only use 1 sensor. You mentioned some units output at 10 hz The sampling rate then is determined by sensor or software?

Thx

I build Arduino RC airplanes and for my current plane I use a Samsung Galaxy smartphone to output GPS data from the phone's GPS receiver to the Arduino. Although I haven't fully developed or tested the equipment/software, I believe the refresh rate is faster than 1 Hz and is quite reliable.

Not sure of your size/weight requirements, but I thought I'd let you know of a more creative option.

benmc83:
The sampling rate then is determined by sensor or software?

If the GPS device is capable of it, you can send it a configuration command to change the update rate. Most GPS libraries do not care about the update rate, they report the information as often as it comes in.

The SKM53 module only operates at 1Hz.

You may be interested in my NeoGPS library. It's smaller, faster, more accurate, and configurable to use less RAM, program space and execution time. In your case, you could configure it to parse only the altitude from a GGA sentence (available fields and sentences here). Without seeing your sketch, I'm not sure how much it would help.

Cheers,
/dev

Thanks to you all for responses.

power broker-Thats a neat solution with the Samsung interface, prolly too heavy for me, but really clever.

/Dev- Thanks for that. I will look at your code and get back to you if I have any more questions.

Thanks again!