TIP31 Output Boosting for LED Strips

I am using TIP31 and my speakers to make LED Strips dance according to music but I want to increase the output by the TIP31 Transistors as the LEDS are too dim anyone who could help?

Post a circuit diagram

Also need led amps and voltage requirements . Power supply used.
The tip31 can go up to 3amp continues should be enough to power led strip light.

No Arduino or any other active electronics???

Are your LEDs full-brightness when you hook them directly to the power supply?

With a "simple transistor circuit" your lights will ALWAY be OFF during the negative half-cycle so at-best they only be on half of the time and you'll only get "half brightness".*

And, normal program material has a peak-to-average ratio of about 10:1 so depending on how much power you're getting from your amplifier they probably won't be on even half of the time. (If you play a constant test-tone they will probably appear to be brighter.)

• Actually they will be full-brightness for a very-short time but if they are on for less than about 1/10th of a second they will appear dim to the human eye.

DVDdoug:
No Arduino or any other active electronics???

Are your LEDs full-brightness when you hook them directly to the power supply?

With a "simple transistor circuit" your lights will ALWAY be OFF during the negative half-cycle so at-best they only be on half of the time and you'll only get "half brightness".*

And, normal program material has a peak-to-average ratio of about 10:1 so depending on how much power you're getting from your amplifier they probably won't be on even half of the time. (If you play a constant test-tone they will probably appear to be brighter.)

• Actually they will be full-brightness for a very-short time but if they are on for less than about 1/10th of a second they will appear dim to the human eye.

Actually you're very right as I play few songs in the speaker then only they give out the max output. Isn't there any device that just increases the amount of voltage going out from middle pin of TIP31?

suttle0577:
Also need led amps and voltage requirements . Power supply used.
The tip31 can go up to 3amp continues should be enough to power led strip light.

It is 5 meter long LED Strip and about 12 V and 2 A given to TIP31 Transistor. I use a AUX Cable to get input from the speaker's to the transistors. I actually opened up the speaker's and soldered my wires to the headphone jack output wires of the speaker and connected it to the TIP31.just for reference I made this project on these speakers - https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.in/Intex-IT-350-Speaker-Multimedia-2-0/dp/B00ARSSPMK&ved=2ahUKEwikw7bwg7TeAhWZT30KHXSTDtwQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw3wUKutX5hEw36UAksVko37 . U can see the output jack on its front

this is an Arduino forum for people needing help with problems on Arduino projects.

if you have a resistor on the base of the transistor you need to lower the ohm value, to take the voltage input into the tip31 base closer to the threshold voltage.

if you have no resistor then you need to put a smaller transistor before the tip31 like a 2n2222 transistor.

but you will need a limiting resistor on the base of the tip31 or you could burn it out.

if you look up tip31 switching cuircuit on google then you will find loads of cuircuit examples.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html then look down to item #7 about how to post your code.
It will be formatted in a scrolling window that makes it easier to read.

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?

Thanks.. Tom.... :slight_smile:

Taking into account what DVDdoug said you could build a bridge rectifier and use the output of that to the tip31. This would give you a positive voltage all the time.

Taking into account what DVDdoug said you could build a bridge rectifier and use the output of that to the tip31. This would give you a positive voltage all the time.

There is an additional voltage drop across the bridge rectifier so it might help or it might it worse. With a 100W amplifier playing at full volume, it would probably work great...

Take a look at my [u]World's Simplest Lighting Effect[/u] (which runs on the Arduino). It turns the LED on when the level is above average and off when below average for lots of "LED action" that automatically adjusts to the average volume level.

It's just a simple demonstration effect using the built-in pin-13 LED, but you can use your transistor and LED strip, or you can make a simple modification by adding a 2nd LED strip that toggles to the opposite state... i.e. It's on when the signal is below average and off when above average.