Tips for improving Arduino?

Hello, i just want any tips or advice i can get. I’ve had Arduino for almost a year(Starter Kit). I’ve tried to learn all the basics, which i have, things like C programming or components and hardware. However, it seems like i can’t get passed that point. I’ve tried quite a lot, i bought a book called “Arduino Cookbook”, which I’m trying to read. Anyway, to wrap things up. If i can get some advice, maybe how you learned or progressed. I’m 15 years old, so take it easy on the tips! Thanks!

Please explain exactly what you mean by "can't get passed that point".

I think it's really helpful to have a project. Learning for the sake of learning is cool but having a specific goal to work towards will give you motivation and focus. Think of device you want to create related so some topic you're interested in. Don't expect it to be finished over a weekend. You might need to spend a long time gradually gaining all the skills you need to create this thing but you will be learning and gaining experience all along the way.

Thanks for the reply I would like to be able to understand and learn to build a Drone, or a quadcopter, those have been my main goals!

So what is stopping you? Buy one motor and controller, try to control it with your UNO. (Buy the other three motors later.)

Buy the IMU device that you like (accelerometer and gyros on a chip) and try to read that with your UNO.

The UNO is too heavy for most drones to lift. Usually you would switch to another smaller Arduino at that point. Many people go for the purpose-built boards which integrate the IMU and radio and other useful stuff along with an Arduino-programmable chip.

That's a very ambitious goal. It's possible you could get discouraged or lose motivation since it will be such a long road between starting the project and even getting off the ground.

You are definitely going to need to break this down into parts. You need to be able to read an IMU and process that data. You need to be able to control motors. You need to communicate between the controller and the drove wirelessly. So you should start by gaining an understanding of each of these components. You could do some intermediate projects for each individual component that will be fun while also helping you get the knowledge you need to finally achieve your goal. I've had some fun just playing around with using an accelerometer to control the colors of RGB LEDs. That's the sort of thing that you can spend a few dollars on parts and a couple hours putting together a circuit and a sketch and you have made something that already works to some extent. Then you can spend as much additional time as you like working on the data processing and the lighting effects. I'm into LEDs, maybe you're not but it's just an example of the sort of project that will naturally help you progress in your journey because it's achievable and entertaining. Even if you just take it apart after a couple days to use the parts for something else, you'll be that much closer to your quadcopter..

Unless your hardware and algorithm skills are getting up there. How about a small controlled vehicle - initially 2-wheel skid steer, then 2-wd with ‘real’ steering - and finally 4wd with real steering. You’ll learn a lot that can be carried across to something that isn’t 1/4 inch off the ground!

The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex, overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, then starting on the first one.

Mark Twain

DannyIsOnFire14: Thanks for the reply I would like to be able to understand and learn to build a Drone, or a quadcopter, those have been my main goals!

That's a really lofty goal. I say go for it, but there's a lot more there to learn than just coding.

If you want to learn to code, start with a track-bot or a wheeled-bot and play with line followers or object avoiders. Once you get that stuff down, then the path to the drone will start to look a little clearer.

pert: Please explain exactly what you mean by "can't get passed that point".

seems like a large jump from learning the basic kit to a quad-copter.

all programs or sketches are really assemblies of smaller routines.

if you have a vibration sensors and a temperature sensor, you can read both as separate things, but the fun comes when you need one to work with the other.

if() the vibration sensor moved then read the temperature

if() the vibration sensor has moved in the last minute, blink an LED really fast 2 minutes, much slower over 3 minutes.... nothing.

not useful, but the idea is that one part plays off the other.

the quad copter has a lot of stuff going on. I assume there are others who have posted sketches and you can copy and paste, but that is not true understanding.

we all do that 'copy/paste' to some degree.

as you get to understand one bit, you will have to build what you know to help understand the next bit.

some have offered that a car is a good start. it offers a lower gradient, but the same goal. crashes are less spectacular though.