I’m about to do start a project where I will build a laptimer for off-road motorbikes, and I’m trying to find out what kind of hardware I could use for identification of the bikes.
The case looks like this:
- I want to get inidividual laptimes from multiple bikes at a given checkpoint of the track.
- The bikes may be dirty, so IR sensors are not applicable.
- The bikes will travel at a speed of maximum 20km/h when passing the checkpoint.
- The bikes will pass the checkpoint with a distance of roughly 2-4 meters.
- A timing accurancy of ±1sec is accepted.
- The system will be built with a main unit at the checkpoint, and with some kind of slaves/tags/transponders on each bike. The laptimes will be displayed only at the checkpoint.
Anyone having any suggestion on what kind of hardware that would be suitable?
I first thougth about RFID, but as far as I know the range of RFID is to short?
IR is not an option due to the fact that the bikes may be dirty.
BLE may be an option but I’m not sure and I can not find transponder/tags to put on the bikes when I’m searching at google.