Tire pressure monitoring and controling

Hii, I am currently working on a project where I need to monitor the tire pressure continuously using sensor(which I am still finding :confused: ) and simultaneously filling the air in tire while driving the vehicle. I am using arduino uno with solenoid valve to control the flow of compressed air to the tire. But I have no idea about sensors. I am new with this topic and just learning arduino uno from this site only.

I want to measure the pressure inside the tire-tube in psi and say if the pressure is less than 30 psi then I need to actuate solenoid valve to supply the air through the valve provided on wheel rim (or tube). Please guide me with some pressure sensors I can use to take readings of pressure within the tire tube.

Also I need to measure the rpm of vehicle wheel simultaneously to take some action. I have searched online and probably going to use hall effect sensor. I don't know will it work or not but I am learning.

Help me please.

Do you have a way to get air into the tire while it is spinning? Can you use a similar method to get wires to the inside of the tire?

Talk to the Mercedes F1 team - they need a new means of monitoring tyre pressure.

Some of the fire trucks at my local fire service have a system like that. Don't want a flat tire on a fully loaded truck driving across the rocky ground when there is a wild fire.

Check a fire station in your local area.

Paul

You may encounter problems in mounting and operating the entire device on a rotating wheel. In detail the heavy pressure cylinder and battery tend to fly away after some time. The centrifugal force also can affect certain electronic components, so that the entire device must be mounted in the middle of the wheel.

When you already have connected an pressure cylinder to the wheel (rim), attach the pressure sensor to that tube. You have to find an pressure sensor yourself, depending on the required pressure range, quality, size, weight and price.

To measure rpm put a reflective mark on the vehicle, that the rotating device can find with every rotation.

Your entire project will require excellent mechanical skills. Are you sure that you can build it without engineering assistance? If not, ask an engineer how to build it, then come back with electronic and coding questions.

Tyre pressure monitoring systems have been around for over twenty years and are available as aftermarket items, or down at your local spare parts dealer, so there should be no problem about getting the sensors. The wheel you need to re-invent is the one that can inflate the tire on the run. That should be quite an interesting exercise but, before you start, you might do what the best engineers do - check to see if it hasn't already been done before, and why.

Similarly, wheel RPM is routinely checked by the braking system, and they have been around for about sixty years on aircraft and I guess about forty years on cars. You could use a hall-effect device to read the ABS disks. I understand that some tyre pressure monitors do just that to check differences in rolling diametre.

The military HMMWV (Humvee) has a Central Tire Inflation System (CTIS) for adjusting tire pressure while moving. Google it for more details.

Lots of trucks in Argentina have air hoses going to each tyre. Pressure can be adjusted up or down while moving. There's a swivel joint in the centre of the wheel and a hose with some flexible and rigid sections reaching down from the truck body. This is all on the outside of the wheel, so there's no connections inside the axle or wheel bearings.

I'm sure all of that hardware is available online somewhere.

First of all thank you so much guys for standing by my side and helping me out. Thanks a lot.

I have searched a lot online almost googled it over 20-30 times but what I have in mind, no one has ever done it before. I have found many cars & trucks with such systems, using which you can re-fill the air while driving the vehicle. But there are some correction I can make:

1. Most of available systems need too heavy extra setup for performing this task.
  2. Most of systems are user defined i.e., If you enter 35 psi (in some user interface device) then the system will inflate the tire up to 35 psi
  3. They all are for 4 or 4+ wheeler automobiles.
  4. All of them are costly
  5. None of them have used Arduino (that's my strength.. :stuck_out_tongue: )

Now let me tell you my way of doing this project:
I am a mechanical student (pursuing masters degree) so I can try that design and balancing part by some simulation or trial and error part. Next thing being a mechanical guy I want to do smart work.

I have whole idea of using free air available with some velocity while vehicle is running, to act as source of compressed air. Also the inflation system must work as in respiratory system of our body in such a way that if vehicle is slow there should be low tire pressure to increase grip as well as braking performance. Similarly when vehicle is at high speed I want tires to be fully inflated to minimize wear and friction.

Basically I am doing it for 2 wheeler now, if I can do once then I can try some more creativity.

I know I am asking more than a simple help but please if possible... please help me. :slight_smile:

@ DrDiettrich

Sir, I have gone through that problem of system, where wheel looses its balance due to heavy mountings of components like cylinder or air tank etc. But I have also found solutions for that problem so that part is over.

I have just stuck with this sensor part because its totally new to me..& I am loving it..! :smiley:

AWOL:
Talk to the Mercedes F1 team - they need a new means of monitoring tyre pressure.

Sir, I am simple guy and don't have any connection to Mercedes (though I am F1 lover :wink: ). If you have any contacts available then please, patch me up there.. :smiley:

johnwasser:
Do you have a way to get air into the tire while it is spinning? Can you use a similar method to get wires to the inside of the tire?

I have a way to supply air inside the tube continuously while wheel is rotating. But in that "way" I am unable to perform wiring. Actually I am using stud like structure that will be between valve on the rim and central hub of the wheel (I mean complete kit of system..!).

So already running out of space and can't pass wire through that valve..
Any other way???

DrDiettrich:
You may encounter problems in mounting and operating the entire device on a rotating wheel. In detail the heavy pressure cylinder and battery tend to fly away after some time. The centrifugal force also can affect certain electronic components, so that the entire device must be mounted in the middle of the wheel.

When you already have connected an pressure cylinder to the wheel (rim), attach the pressure sensor to that tube. You have to find an pressure sensor yourself, depending on the required pressure range, quality, size, weight and price.

To measure rpm put a reflective mark on the vehicle, that the rotating device can find with every rotation.

Your entire project will require excellent mechanical skills. Are you sure that you can build it without engineering assistance? If not, ask an engineer how to build it, then come back with electronic and coding questions.

Sir, I think that I can go for rpm by method mentioned by you. But as I am totally new, can please elaborate this method... I mean how to use sensor with arduino?? Most important which sensor or which module to use for this work??

Also I am using Arduino Uno.. :slight_smile:

I wonder if wireless could be a way to go - strap the sendor/uC/RF TX unit/battery module to the hub of the wheel, with a RX unit nearby. Then you don't have to deal with passing any wires thru anything.

As a driver, I'm not sure how happy I'd be with tire pressure changing on the fly on me. I think variable wing pitch, more on turns and less on straights, would be preferable.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=169919.msg1266163#msg1266163

System with 4 SP37 sensors

US $73.27

[url=http://www.mouser.com/Sensors/Pressure-Sensors/_/N-6g7qcZscv7=2626 types of pressure sensors in stock at Mouser[/url] I am certain you can find a sensor in that lot which does what you want at the price you want.

MorganS:
[url=http://www.mouser.com/Sensors/Pressure-Sensors/_/N-6g7qcZscv7=2626 types of pressure sensors in stock at Mouser[/url] I am certain you can find a sensor in that lot which does what you want at the price you want.

Thanks buddy.. I will try to find and purchase something here.. :slight_smile:

CrossRoads:
I wonder if wireless could be a way to go - strap the sendor/uC/RF TX unit/battery module to the hub of the wheel, with a RX unit nearby. Then you don't have to deal with passing any wires thru anything.

As a driver, I'm not sure how happy I'd be with tire pressure changing on the fly on me. I think variable wing pitch, more on turns and less on straights, would be preferable.

Yeah I am also thinking to move ahead towards wireless... But this all things are too much new to me.. if you don't mind, can you please elaborate "uC/RF TX"?? Do you mean receiver-transmitter unit? if so then how to use it? any particular module if you have used?? so that I can directly start learning that.. :slight_smile:

& yeah I am also working on wing pitch variations but they are too complicated to do in two wheeler.. But I am trying my best so that ride lovers like us can enjoy bit more while driving.. :slight_smile:

sonnyyu:

School project car's tires' pressure measurement - #18 by sonnyyu - Project Guidance - Arduino Forum

Thanks buddy... I will study this circuits.. Also I have some more circuits but problem is I want to make mine.. Yeah I will definitely study the material but lets see where I can reach