TLC5940 pcb stencil

Does anyone know where can I find a TLC5940 pcb stencil so that I can create the board by myself. I want to use it as a PWM with RGB Led’s. I want to also be able to add more then one TLC5940.

Like this one: Welcome brilldea.com - BlueHost.com

Is it hard to do the schematics if I can’t find a premade stencil?

I don’t want to buy the board since I want my project to be as much DIY as possible. Time is no factor…

I just used a couple of tlc5940’s for my first Arduino project. Connecting a 5940 is extremely simple: one resistor per 5940 and five connections to your microcontroller.

The only challenge is figuring out how you’ll connect all those LEDs.

If you are interested in keeping this a do-it-yourself project, I can’t imagine an easier chip/interface to design your own PCB for.

Get Eagle, put a 24 pin dip piece on the board and you are halfway there.

Let me know if you’ve got any questions…
James Fraser

Here you go
http://fletchtronics.net/eagle-library-part-tlc5940
He has an excellent blog as well.
If you use orcad TI’s site has the files you need.
This chip is becoming really popular apparently. One guy here ( i believe) is building a whole spoke pov system around it. I hope to >eventually< create a wireless/bluetooth auto version. Because these chips can apparently be connected in series makes it possible.

You could also use a generic 28 pin part as a place holder. In my eagle install there’s a library called ‘ic-package.lbr’ that has a DIL28 part. The DIL28-3 looks like the right size as the 5940s that I’ve worked with. Obviously having a nicely labeled part is better. :slight_smile:

I don’t remember if this works or not, but you might be able to copy the part out of my schematic. I created my own footprint/library part in Eagle. It only took about 30 minutes, when I followed the Sparkfun Tutorial on it.