TM12864l LCD Wiring Issues

Ok I have searched the internet as well and cannot find the answer sooo here I am asking.

TM12864l http://digitalminority.com/arduino/TM12864L-1=KS0108.pdf

The datasheet i have. I am trying to connect this to an Uno. Any help in this matter would be extremely helpful.

Thank you

Try searching for 'Graphical LCD' or 'GLCD'.

Don

This is the tutorial I used:

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/GLCDks0108

Have gone thru that many times now and the wiring isn't the same. Or i wouldn't have asked here since i did over 2 hours of research. Thank you for your replys

Don't be frustrated. It's right there in the tutorial, if, your spec sheet is the right spec sheet. Pinout C. I guess your 2 hours were spent looking at things other than the pinout table on the tutorial. I would sit down and look at it. Do the tutorial again and report back what worked and what didn't.

Fustration... check .... And i blame myself for buying the items from hong kong but thats another story

Ill double check the pinouts again

It's just wiring. See, if I spell a wrong werd in English, you can still understand. It takes years of training. Electronics don't have that training. So even the slightest difference from the required wiring will make them unhappy, if, they don't release their magic smoke and quit. And in turn they make you unhappy. I would try again and upload a picture or two if I still can't get it to work ;)

Sad but true. The frustration is stemming from other things, i do apologize.

Have tried all 3 pin outs and it still is not receiving information. It will power on and the back light turns on but no data from the sketch. Ill check a few more things and if nothing ill post an image of what i have and go from there.

Thank you

If you disconnect all the data lines or simply load a program like blink, then power cycle your arduino, do you see black pixels covering the entire display? Have you tried to turn the potentiometer?

Sk8aelf: Have tried all 3 pin outs and it still is not receiving information. It will power on and the back light turns on but no data from the sketch. Ill check a few more things and if nothing ill post an image of what i have and go from there.

Thank you

Oooo... That is not a good thing. You must be very careful with the power connections. (pins 1 & 2) Get them backwards and you can fry the glcd module. If you look carefully, the power lines between some of the boards are reversed from one another. You can't just try things willy nilly - bad things can happen.

Look at your data sheet. It is actually a good data sheet. It very clearly shows which function is for each glcd pin.

If you compare your glcd pinout to the glcd pins in the table it matches B (not C as mentioned earlier). But if you used C instead of B it would still "work", you would just see the left and right screen halves swapped. But It is definitely not A. Using A might smoke the glcd module as it hooks up the power and ground backwards from what is on your data sheet. (backwards power is not a good thing....)

But if you don't like or understand the A/B/C table stuff (I don't care for it and don't use it, I find it a bit confusing) then simply hook up the wires as needed based on your data sheet. (but you will still have to consult the table) If you are using a m168/328 you simply look at the left column then look at function column to see which glcd module function you need to figure out which glcd module pin you need. So for example, Arduino pin 18 is EN which on your module is glcd module pin 6 (E and EN are the same) So glcd module pin 6 is hooked up Arduino pin 18. And Arduino pin 8 is D0 which on your board is glcd module pin 7. Arduino pin 14 is CSEL1 which on your board is glcd module pin 15 (CSEL1 and CS1 are the same) and so on....

====

The next question is the contrast potentiometer. What value are you using and how have you hooked it up? (If this isn't hooked up properly you may never see any pixels)

You want something like 10k to 50k. One end goes to glcd module pin 2 (vcc) , the other end goes to glcd module pin 18 (contrast-out/Vee/Vout - all are the same just different names), and the center/wiper goes to glcd module pin 3 (VO).

I would also highly recommend using the newer library that is in beta (glcd v3) instead. (It has completed its beta cycle and Michael and I will be pushing it to full release very soon)

It comes with a diagnostic sketch that provides diagnostic output on the serial port that can be useful debugging issues.

--- bill

bperrybap: If you compare your glcd pinout to the glcd pins in the table it matches B (not C as mentioned earlier). But if you used C instead of B it would still "work", you would just see the left and right screen halves swapped.

Hahaha, my silly mistake :blush:. I didn't take enough time to match CS pins. I was wondering about the potentiometer too. Some problems with newbies are they don't know a potentiometer is needed and leave the pin open or tie it to 5V or GND. So I wanted to know if any black pixels show up.

Hi all!

I have an Arduino Mega 2560 width TM12864L-2 (B panel) LCD Display. I made the wiring as described here: http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/GLCDks0108 except the LCD 3,18,19 pin. I've read about the necesseary potmeter for the contrast too. But I didn't find any information about the wiring of it.

bperrybap wrote this: "You want something like 10k to 50k. One end goes to glcd module pin 2 (vcc) , the other end goes to glcd module pin 18 (contrast-out/Vee/Vout - all are the same just different names), and the center/wiper goes to glcd module pin 3 (VO)."

What about the LCD pin 19?

Thank you!! puffi

This is the picture that includes the potentiometer wiring in the tutorial:

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/uploads/Code/KS0108_wiring.jpg

The square with vertical blue stripes is a small circuit board. You can use your breadboard. The square on the bottom left side of the board is the potentiometer. It has 3 pins, bottom left (connect to glcd pin 18), top center pin (connect to glcd pin 3), and a bottom right pin (connect to arduino gnd). This potentiometer's full range can be 10K, or 50K, like one of these:

http://dipmicro.com/store/R4V10-3386

Do you have a potentiometer and what is its full range?

puffi: Hi all!

I have an Arduino Mega 2560 width TM12864L-2 (B panel) LCD Display. I made the wiring as described here: http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/GLCDks0108 except the LCD 3,18,19 pin. I've read about the necesseary potmeter for the contrast too. But I didn't find any information about the wiring of it.

What about the LCD pin 19?

Thank you!! puffi

Yes the potentiometer wiring is a bit confusing right now. I'm in the process of updating the documentation wiki & glcd library to try to clear this up. Adding to the confusion is that the pot can be wired up two different ways. The glcd pin Vo. (contrast input - normally glcd pin 3) needs a negative voltage, That means that one leg of the pot must be Vee and the wiper will go to Vo. However that leaves the other leg. This where things can get confusing. Different panels recommend different wiring in their documentation. Since the voltage should be negative, that means the other leg can be Vcc or GND. The Wiki and the included documentation in the library show using GND rather than VCC (like my earlier comment) for the other leg. My earlier comment about using VCC was because many panels recommend this vs GND in their documentation. Since GND should always work for the other leg, it is probably best to use GND rather than VCC as it will use also bit less power as well.

The current playground wiki panel table and the text talks about how to wire up the contrast pot as well as the glcd backlight pins but the diagram on the wiki only shows how to hook to hook panel type A. For more detailed information including better drawings of how to hook up each panel type, see the documentation included with the glcd library. You can find it in the glcd/doc directory of the library. See the "Wiring and Configuration" section in the PDF file or go to "Wiring"->"KS0108 Family" in the html version of the documentation.

NOTE to all reading this: currently the panel type "C" in the library documentation that comes with the library does not match the panel type "C" on the wiki. While both are called type "C" they are not the same wiring. I'll try to resolve this in a future library release.

--- bill