TMP36 sensor functioning and water issues

Hello everyone, This is my first question on the forum. I'm having a hard time understanding what part of the TMP36 sensor actually measures the temperature of whatever you're trying to measure(water, ambient, etc.). I am not allowed to use pre-water proofed sensors for a specific project, but the TMP36 is legal so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions om how exactly to waterproof it as well, and if it's feasible to use for measuring the temperature of a glass of water. I've worked with Arduino accessories before but this is my first time with a thermal sensor. Thanks a bunch to whoever can help out.

jalaj_mehta5: Hello everyone, This is my first question on the forum. I'm having a hard time understanding what part of the TMP36 sensor actually measures the temperature of whatever you're trying to measure(water, ambient, etc.). I am not allowed to use pre-water proofed sensors for a specific project, but the TMP36 is legal so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions om how exactly to waterproof it as well, and if it's feasible to use for measuring the temperature of a glass of water. I've worked with Arduino accessories before but this is my first time with a thermal sensor. Thanks a bunch to whoever can help out.

Welcome tpo the forum. A very good question relating to the data sheet:

These temperature sensors, as well as any associated circuitry, should be kept insulated and dry to avoid leakage and corrosion. In wet or corrosive environments, any electrically isolated metal or ceramic well can be used to shield the temperature sensors. Condensation at very cold temperatures can cause errors and should be avoided by sealing the device, using electrically non-conductive epoxy paints or dip or any one of the many printed circuit board coatings and varnishes.

So, you must water proof the TMP36 as well as the connecting wires to it. Also the data sheet suggests the heat from the wires will affect the TMP36, so do not HOLD the wires and the TMP36 while measuring temperature.

Suggest you place the device in a small rubber balloon before trying to measure water.

Paul

Sounds, good I'll try this out and see what happens. Thank you!