Too many exclamation marks in a Serial.println crashes 1.8.1 IDE when compiling

Hello,

This works perfectly:
Serial.println(“Aoreal_20!”); // Print firmware version

This crashe the IDE every time:
Serial.println(“Aoreal_20!!!”); // Print firmware version

I press the compile/upload button, the green progress line moves across all the way to the right (as if the compile/upload has happened OK), but then it stops (still showing) and no compiler/upload complete message appears, and if you park the mouse-pointer over the green progress bar, it shows as a little rotating “wheel”. After several minutes, the message “An error occurred while uploading the sketch” appears.

Prior to the message appearing, it is impossible to close or cancel or force the software to recover.

I am not sure whether this behaviour is as expected.

Phlebas.

This problem has raised it's head several times before on here and IIRC the cause is the bootloader switches into some form of debug mode if it gets three ! characters (!!!) in a row.

Riva:
This problem has raised it’s head several times before on here and IIRC the cause is the bootloader switches into some form of debug mode if it gets three ! characters (!!!) in a row.

Only on a Mega.

I wonder which universe it is where “Aoreal_20!!!” conveys more information than “Aoreal_20!”

Groove:
I wonder which universe it is where “Aoreal_20!!!” conveys more information than “Aoreal_20!”

Why do you need to ask that??? Aren’t there way too many posts full of useless???

I can’t understand it, either!!!

Connect an ISP programmer (or Arduino as ISP) to your Mega and then do a Tools > Burn Bootloader. This will update the bootloader on your Mega to a newer version that doesn't have this issue. If that's sounds like too much work then just don't use more than two exclamation marks in a row.