Too much spam !

I like to answer questions in the forum, but I don't like spam. I have spend too much time by reporting the spam. It is possible to change the forum registration ? At least don't allow a new user to spam with 94 posts in the first day.

I’ll 2nd that!

This has been long requested by the moderators, there might be something to address this soon.

On some forums you can set it up so your first post is shown once approved by mod...

New Arduino users should be helped as much as possible, so I don't want to make barriers for them. I like links to the products that someone is using, so even a few links should be allowed in the first post.

Perhaps only 1 post in the first hour, and only 3 in the first day. Maybe a question [u]after[/u] clicking the Post-button, something like: "You registrated today, how much is 3+4 ?". The spam in the past weeks have the same layout. It should should be possible to read the contents and determine 90% of the spam.

I've wondered if a new 'level' of user, call them a 'trusty', would help. A person gets 'trusty' status by being nominated by a mod. If a 'trusty' reports a user's post(s) as spam, everything posted by that user immediately becomes invisible. If they originated a thread the whole thread disappears, otherwise just the user's posts disappear. The report still goes to a mod who has the final say and this is the only elevated privilege that a trusty has. This will reduce the amount of time that spam is visible on the forum, thus making the forum less useful to the spammers.

Pete

When something is reported as spam, it disappeares. But today someone spammed the forum with 94 post, that was too much for me.

When something is reported as spam, it disappeares.

As I understand it, and from my own observations, reporting something as spam does not make it disappear until a mod sees your report and acts upon it.

Pete

el_supremo: As I understand it, and from my own observations, reporting something as spam does not make it disappear until a mod sees your report and acts upon it.

Yes that is true and as moderators are assigned to different boards it often helps to report something as spam in each board you see it in. Reporting many posts as spam in the same board will only send the same message to the moderators responsible for that board. When a moderator sees some spam he can delete it when ever it is. So reporting in multiple boards increases the chances of a moderator being available. The mess is then cleaned up and the poster banned.

This goes on a lot more often than you might think and the moderators do a fine job of keeping this forum so spam free. So cut a little slack for them please.

So cut a little slack for them please.

I wasn't complaining about the mods, only pointing out that spam doesn't disappear the moment you report it. Your info about reporting spam in multiple boards is useful to know.

Pete

You're right - we have to delete reported spam. It usually takes the user account with it. ]:D We've proposed many solutions over the last few years. We're awaiting the solutions.

I'm not convinced that putting reported posts into invisible escrow/limbo is the solution because it has the potential for misuse (though be assured, misusers would be shown little patience)

I have zero-tolerance for spam, and I often delete accounts just on the basis of an off-topic signature or reference to an unrelated website (locksmiths, real-estate, car hire. . .) - I'm not even going to give them the opportunity to post their crap.

I'd estimate that around 20 - 25% of the spam posts I delete aren't reported.

Edit: one spam post I deleted a few days ago was for a "service" to defeat Captchas. The rate was $1.38 per 1000 Captchas. That's what we're up against.

it has the potential for misuse

That's why I say the 'trusty's would be nominated/appointed by a mod and implicit in that would be that a mod could also remove the 'power' if it was abused - and, as I mentioned, a mod would still have the final say, as they do now, with whether the posts are wiped out and the user banned or whether they are made visible again. All I'm suggesting is a mechanism which would make the spam disappear even faster than it does now.

Pete

el_supremo: I've wondered if a new 'level' of user, call them a 'trusty', would help. A person gets 'trusty' status by being nominated by a mod.

The word is actually "trustee". :D

All things considered, I don't think it is such a bad idea for the first posting to be approved by a moderator. Few if any spammers could compose a plausible post germane to a technical forum in the first place, while waiting for a moderator to approve one's first post is not a great deal more impediment than waiting for some one to answer it.

The concept of "deputy" moderators certainly has merit in this context - many frequent posters here could fill such a role.

Paul__B: The concept of "deputy" moderators certainly has merit in this context - many frequent posters here could fill such a role.

+1. Anything to spread the misery load.

AWOL:

Paul__B: The concept of "deputy" moderators certainly has merit in this context - many frequent posters here could fill such a role.

+1. Anything to spread the misery load.

Not all offers of moderation help are taken up though. I did offer to help out a couple of months ago as spam is my number one hate but never got a response .

The word is actually "trustee".

Nope, I used it in the sense of a trusty in prison.

Pete

Clearly, "trusty" is a colloquial corruption of the word.

It seems either version will suffice, though I am not sure about the implication we are imprisoned in these forums. Or that the moderators are armed.

AWOL: You're right - we have to delete reported spam. It usually takes the user account with it. ]:D We've proposed many solutions over the last few years. We're awaiting the solutions.

In another thread people were wondering why I haven't posted for a while.

I'm somewhat thunderstruck that people can still make 94 posts in their first day. I think I suggested limiting the number of posts someone could make, if they had just registered, to be something low (like 5) to avoid this very thing. That suggestion was made, like, two years ago.