Tools -> Serial Port greyed out on ubuntu 10.04

Hi everybody

I installed the arduino software through synaptic on linux 10.04

I can't access to the menu Tools -> Serial Port , it is greyed out When I tried to upload it said "serial port 'COM1' not found" I checked the forum and found this http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1245954593/0

I followed their advice, I added myself to the "dialout" group I edited the preferences.txt in the .arduino folder to "serial.port=/dev/ttyUSB0"

now the error when uploading is "Serial port '/dev/ttyUSB0' not found"

if I run the arduino software as root, it works fine (the menu isn't grayed out , I /dev/ttyUSB0 is checkeda,d I can uplaod stuff) but I would like to make it work without being root

this is what I get when I do ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0

$ ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 2010-08-21 20:29 /dev/ttyUSB0

Never tried using Synaptic to install Arduino, but installing the requisites from Synaptic and then just extracting the Arduino download into your home folder works fine for me in Ubuntu 10.04 without root privileges.

I suspect synaptic installs the Arduino software somewhere where it needs root for write privileges. Never had to bother adding anything to groups or editing files, it just works

Thanks for replying ;)

I tried installing the IDE in my home directory but it didn't work for me

the weird thing is that the error is "Serial port '/dev/ttyUSB0' not found" all on the other posts the error was with COM1... The fact that it works with root probably means that it is a problem with the privileges

Hi I know this topic is pretty old but since I upgraded to Arduino 21

The first time it worked without having to go through the root thing but since it's the thing as before. I need to go through root again :(

Do you have any ideas on how to fix that? Did anybody have to change anything when upgrading to Arduino 21?