touch sensing circuit (not arduino function)

hey guys, I am working on a project where I need to make a touch sensing switch. I hate to say it, but I am actually using a PICAXE for this project so please dont hate on me lol.

Anyways, the picaxe has a touch function ( i know arduino has a capsense library aswell) but the problem is, it takes a small amount of time for the touch command to be carried out because of the way capsense senses the capacitive change of a pin (with time).

This is a problem for my certain project, because I am fading through colors of an RGB led, which is something that needs to change in small amounts very quickly or it will be noticeably choppy.

The colors fade through while the touch sensitive button is being touched and stops when it is not.

So I was thinking a solution to this would be to have an external circuit that does the touch sensing which sends a high or low signal to an input pin. Now the code can run through checking if a pin is high or low (which happens very quickly) rather than running a touch sense function each time it slightly varies the color of the rgb.

So my question is does anyone know of a good, but simple circuit that will do this?

The circuit must be able to detect touch through a 2mm plastic project box. The circuit must use as little electronic components as possible.

also, if anyone knows of a better way to do this, please let me know.

Thanks! Sorry for using a picaxe instead of an arduino :.

also please no 555 timer circuits. thanks and sorry for the double post. not sure how to delete the other one

Take a look at ALL the cap sense examples in the palyground. This method is VERY fast.

http://playground.arduino.cc//Code/CapacitiveSensor

Mark