Touch Sensor

Hi there

I am helping a teacher developing a project for her physics/Math class.

What i need to do is a piece of cloth with different fields on it.

My plan is to sew a pattern in each field, and then have my arduino detect it when the field is being touched by some of the students.

I have bought some conductive thread to be used.

Does any of you have a good idea of how to detect when the wire is being touched. I would like to make it cheap if possible.

I have thought of just using 1 wire per field, end then detect it somehow.

If that is to hard to do with maybe 16 different fields on the cloth, i could use 2 thread per field and detect it, when the students shortcurcuits the wires.

At the moment i think 16 different fields is the maximum, but it might be expanded in the future.

I am looking forward to hear your suggestions.

Thanks for your reply, the midi thing looks interesting.

I would try to make it without ‘moving’ parts :slight_smile:

I’ll take a look at the Lilypad.

I’ll keep you informed about the project.

The main idea, is only to have the Arduino work like the detector, and then send the information to a PC.

Hi Richard

Thanks a lot for the links, i'll have a read later.

My main idea is to make some button's that react purely on a touch, without any 'moving' or 'clicking' parts.

Hi Richard

Sorry for the miss understanding, English is not my main language, so sometimes it is hard for me to explain what my idea is ;-)

I'll try to draw some ascii art :-)

I'll make a piece of cloth maybe 1 m^2 big, like this:

|1|2|3|4|

|5|6|7|8|

| |9|0| |

Each number corresponds to a key on a normal keyboard. On a TV screen the students gets a question, and have to touch the correct answer on the piece of cloth, by either using hands or their feet.

To minimize the complexity of making the 'keys' i would like to make it as simple as possible. Therefore my idea was to either sew 2 parallel lines in each field, and detect when a current can go through the wires. Or have a single wire in each field, and somehow detect when a person is touching it. It does not really matter if they actually touch it, or just gets very close to each field.

If i was to use conductive fabric instead, i would have to have 2 pieces of it separated somehow, in order to detect a touch, which i think would make it harder and more expensive to fabricate. Or have i miss understood your idea ? Hope it makes a bit more sense now ;-)