touchscreen data entry

I know how to write text to an LCD that displays above changing data (like saying "the temp is" on the top line, and the line below showing the changing temp), but I am wondering in this age of touchscreens if it is possible to real time interact with the screen while it is displaying data.

Say my original heading is "the living room temp is", with data updating below. Then I move into the kitchen and would like to change it to "the kitchen temp is".

Even if I could only do it before data starting changing. Just to avoid having to modify the sketch. Maybe restrict the data to the bottom line, and just be able to change the header text on the fly.

Is this do-able ?

What TFT screen are you using because I wrote a library that has a touchscreen keyboard and will allow you to do exactly what you are looking for. The only downside is the library is only intended for TFTs using the UTFT and UTouch libraries.

HM -
I don't have a TFT yet. I just saw them for the first time a few weeks ago and have just been kicking around the possibilities.
Would you point me in the direction of a TFT that would work with your library (hopefully a cheap one). Is your library available to people who don't even know what TFT stands for ?

It sounds a little confusing to me (a library that is intended for TFT's that are to be used with different libraries) but I guess that means your library uses some terms and functions that those other libraries do also.

I don't want to plague you with dumb questions, but how is doing what I have in mind possible ? Would the sketch treat in-flight text entry as an interrupt ? Or would the screen be divied up into, say, upper for text entry and lower for running the sketch ?

Maybe I misunderstood your reply. Is your library used as a method for text entry onto the screen ?

As you can tell, I'm very interested.

This is the one I am using. TFT 3.2 for UNO/MEGA However this is a third party display that uses a modified version of UTFT and UTouch libraries. My library will work with this, but I do not recommend it.

I would prefer you get one of these TFT Displays (with their adapter shields, if needed) instead.

I don't want to plague you with dumb questions, but how is doing what I have in mind possible ? Would the sketch treat in-flight text entry as an interrupt ? Or would the screen be divied up into, say, upper for text entry and lower for running the sketch ?

I don't know, you haven't properly explained what you want to do in detail. Is it supposed to know what room your in and automatically change or do you change what it say manually?

HM -

Let’s suppose I have a video recorder recording an LCD display (or TFT). I am recording it so that at another time I can play it back and gather data.

On the display, using an arduino and a sketch, the first line says “Living Room - Sunday”. The second line is reporting the changing temperature, using a connected temp sensor. Fine and good. This goes on for an hour, then I stop recording.

The next day someone else plays back the video to see what the living room temperature was on sunday. But that is not enough information about the house temparatures, so they say, how about recording for me the temps of the living room, kitchen, and bedroom ?

Well, I could set up the first line to say “Living Room” and record the display for half an hour, then go and stop the display, modify the arduino sketch to say “Kitchen” on the first line and record that for half an hour, and do it all again for the bedroom.

But what if I could instead modify the first line of text on the display while the thing is still running ? Just touch the screen and hit “revise first line of text”. I type in “Kitchen” and it replaces “Living Room”, while the arduino / screen continues to run. I move the thing into the kitchen and let it record for half an hour, and so on.

This would be ridiculous to do, but I am just trying to re-explain the concept to you. I would like to be able to edit a portion of the display on the fly.

You could do that. But instead of writing and Rewriting the text, why not use an array of all the texts and just cycle through them, with touchscreen buttons? My library has those too.

My Github page TFT Extension

HM -
I don’t think I am conveying what is the real question. It is not whether I can write text to a TFT screen, it is can I do it while a sketch is running ?

As long as your sketch is not stuck in a loop that prohibits you from changing the text, then yes. You can do it while the sketch is running.

Beautiful. thanks. now at least i know that the idea is not a dead end. could you point me at a couple of places to start researching this in ?

i have read 40 pages in the Display section forum, but haven't found anything that is relevant.

First get the display, then try the examples that come with it. After you understand how the display works and can show a message on the screen, play with the touchscreen functions. After that I'll help you with the rest.

HM -

Thanks. that was more than i had hoped for. I will get one and get going with it, but it will be a few weeks cause i'm low on bucks.
thanks again.