TP4056 Module with protection - heating problem !!!

Hello, I am trying to charge my single-cell li-ion 3.7V 2900mah samsung 18650 battery with the TP4056 module. The module came with the smd resistor set to provide 1A of charging current, which I assume for my battery is not a problem such current. However, when I attach the battery to BAT IN + and BAT IN - the module instantly heats to a point that I can't even touch it, so I immediately disconnect it. Is this normal ? I think if I leave it for a minute or so its going to melt the PCB... I hooked up the multimeter and confirmed the 1A charge current. Can someone suggest me a solution to this problem? Should I use different resistor and decrease the charge current or?

garabetov:
However, when I attach the battery to BAT IN + and BAT IN - the module instantly heats to a point that I can’t even touch it, so I immediately disconnect it.

Is this normal ?

Of course not.

Try another module.

module came with the smd resistor set to provide 1A of charging current,

TP4056

But I want to know what is causing this ? It should heat up a bit, but not like in my case.

I would measure the charging current with a multimeter .
Are you sure you are connecting the battery correctly ?

raschemmel:
I would measure the charging current with a multimeter .
Are you sure you are connecting the battery correctly ?

Yes, I have connected the battery correctly and the charging current is 1 Amp from my multimeter.

post a photo of the battery

What is the current battery voltage ?

raschemmel:
post a photo of the battery

What is the current battery voltage ?

Right now is 3.51V - Samsung INR18650 - 29E

Is that a brand new battery ?

2019 batch

The TP4056 should limit itself to a safe working temperature.

If the module is heating up but the battery is not, and the current is within the rated current,
there is something wrong with the module.

What is the input power source for the module ?

Try charging the battery and not touching the module while it is charging to see if it will charge the battery to 4.3V.

What power supply and voltage are you using to charge the battery?

1Amp 5V charger. I have tried 2 different - same results. When I remove the battery and connect the input to 5V supply with a MT3608 connected to OUT+ and OUT - the IC doesn't heat up.

1Amp 5V charger. I have tried 2 different - same results. When I remove the battery and connect the input to 5V supply with a MT3608 connected to OUT+ and OUT - the IC doesn't heat up.

What is the load connected to the MT3608 when you do that ? (how much current is is drawing ?)

Arduino uno and 16x2 LCD display - around 50mA

Assuming the TP4056 is drawing 1A with the battery connected and in view of the fact that 50mA <1A,
it does not surprise me that it does not heat up with a load of 50mA.

The $64,000 question is “why is it heating up with the battery connected ?”

Have you tried leaving the battery connected until it is fully charged ?

No, because the heat is gonna damage the module.

No, because the heat is gonna damage the module.

Really ?

Did you read the datasheet ?

Did you read page 2 where it says TLIM = 145 degrees C (TYP)
CONVERT TEMP C to F

So you are delaying this post because you can’t hold your finger on a chip that is 293 degrees F?
Do you think I would try to keep my finger on a chip that has a datasheet that says the typical temperature is almost 300 degrees Fahrenheit ? You have still not posted a vendor link for the product. You came here for advice. We gave it to you. If you are not going to follow our advice then why ask ?

I assume by now your battery is charged ?