Track motor stop time

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and new to Arduino as well. I have this project in mind and would like to ask your advise as to whether it can be done or not with a difficulty scale of 1-10?

This project I have in mind is to create a device which has a motor. This motor is not powered to turn BUT is turned by an external source and generates electricity.

Now when the motor stops spinning due to absence of external force, I want arduino to capture the time it stopped (eg. 1.30 pm) and starts counting how long it stopped until it spins again (eg. 1.30 pm to 1.34 pm, thus 4 mins stop time).

This continues on subsequent stops with every stop recorded. You can say its sort of similar to a downtime recording tool.

Can it be done? I'm close to 0 knowledge in programming and arduino but have keen interest. I would need some kick start though.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Can it be done?

You can detect when the generator stopped generating voltage. Without additional hardware, you'll be extremely limited in how many stops/starts you can record.

PaulS:
You can detect when the generator stopped generating voltage. Without additional hardware, you'll be extremely limited in how many stops/starts you can record.

I've done some minor research and I'm guessing these additional hardware you're mentioning are shields? RTC and some microsd card shield to log data?

I'm guessing these additional hardware you're mentioning are shields? RTC and some microsd card shield to log data?

Yes.

[quote author=imagination - date=1495457361 link=msg=3270821]

This project I have in mind is to create a device which has a motor. This motor is not powered to turn BUT is turned by an external source and generates electricity.[/quote]

Is the motor actually used for power generation in your "device", or are you connecting it to the axle only as a "rotation sensor"?

Because if you only need a rotation sensor, maybe a simpler way to do it would be a piece of sheet metal on the axle and a photoelectric light barrier.

Or a magnet on the axle and a hall sensor.

Of course if the generator is there anyway, it makes sense to double-use it. What kind of voltage does the generator produce (AC, DC, volts?)

Thomas

hydrocontrol:
Is the motor actually used for power generation in your "device", or are you connecting it to the axle only as a "rotation sensor"?

Because if you only need a rotation sensor, maybe a simpler way to do it would be a piece of sheet metal on the axle and a photoelectric light barrier.

Or a magnet on the axle and a hall sensor.

Of course if the generator is there anyway, it makes sense to double-use it. What kind of voltage does the generator produce (AC, DC, volts?)

Thomas

It can be a rotation sensor.

The thing is I'm trying to log down an external shaft that spins. When it stops spinning I want to log down when and how long it stops.

My idea currently is to touch this motor's end to the rotating shaft. Thus when this shaft spins it will rotate the motor which in turn generates electricity for arduino to detect (not to power the arduino).

But if there is any other viable methods to detect and log a rotating shaft's stop time and how long without the use of this motor I'm all for it as well.