Tracking X and Y of a sensor feasibility for a project

I am in the early stages of a project and I am looking to track the movement of a sensor to reveal a visual depending on where the sensor is. To try explain this better the the visual being shown would be masked so when the sensor comes into the x y axis it would reveal a section (say a circular shape) of the visual and depending on where the sensor is moved the circle would follow revealing a different part of the visual.

the technical implementation of this project has not started yet as i am figuring out how to do it still. I am new to Arduino and processing but any guidance as to how to go about this, if it is possible, would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of sensor? How is the sensor being moved?

That's an awful lot to be asking of an ARDUINO. Takes processing power and a lot of memory and/or paging.

Google "Google Project Tango".

Note the processing horsepower employed.

It may be appropriate to use an Arduino to get values from a sensor and pass them on to a PC program that handles the graphics.

...R

Robin2:
It may be appropriate to use an Arduino to get values from a sensor and pass them on to a PC program that handles the graphics.

…R

This was my initial thought as well…

seems like a normal use for an Arduino…

(needing to have ‘something’ else do the real-time plotting…etc)

Seems like a processing type of project.