Trail Camera Refresh

Hello!

I am new to Arduino and am anxious to get started on a project to reuse an existing game / trail camera I have. This project is a rebrew of an existing commercially available Bushnell Trail Sentry cam. My Bushnell Trail Sentry interface quit working properly. I can no longer write pictures to the SD card. I figure why not try and salvage the thing and turn it into a cool project.

I have not yet cracked the case on the camera yet but my thoughts are to open up the case and take a good look at what's inside before I plan out a new camera design. The current design has a small LCD screen that interfaces with 4 buttons and a "simple" menu system. I'd like to try and follow suit with this on my re-design.

I would like to be able to time stamp photos and set current date and time from a simple UI. I would also like to display a count of the number of pictures/events recorded to the SD card. It would be nice to also incorporate a sunrise / sunset table type of system to trigger flash and or IR camera.

Does anyone on here have any tips / pointers for doing a refresh like this?
Do you think it's possible to re-use some of the current features of the camera (IE the camera itself , PIR detectors, ect)?

My plan is to start cracking this thing open next week and digging into things. I will be posting pics of the internals and what I find when I am reverse engineering things.

Does this seem like a feasible type Aruino project?

Thanks!!

Cheers,

Joe Gill

Then, can we assume you have all the necessary test equipment to actually reverse engineer the parts of the device you are interested in ?

Paul