Transceiver (500ft range)

Hi I’m looking for a transceiver for my Arduino Nano.

The internet is full of NRF24L01 (like http://www.ebay.com/itm/170819064718) but this has a few disadvantages:

• only up to 200ft.
  • operates 3.3V (the Nano provides only 50mA on 3.3V).

So I’m desperately looking for another transceiver. Any suggestions?

Check out the Moteino. --> All about Moteino | LowPowerLab

Don

floresta:
Check out the Moteino. --> All about Moteino | LowPowerLab

Don

Thanks for the link. In the meantime I googled and found Anarduino MiniWireless Details

How do they compare to the Moteino?

And a more general question: Arduinos, like the Nano, only have 50mA on the 3,3V port. The RFM69HW (for 20dB) draws something like 100mA. How do the Moteinos deal with this?

Real Nano uses the FTDI chip as the 50mA source. Other boards may have a regulator instead, like the Uno does.

I see MCP1703 on the Moteino schematic, which is a 200-250mA regulator

How do they compare to the Moteino?

I don't know much about the 'MiniWireless' but I see that their library is forked from the one written for the Moteino so they are probably more alike than they are different.

Be aware that the Moteino is running a 16 MHz chip at 3.3v which is out of spec. Mine (an older version using an RFM12B) has been running continuously, without problems, since sometime last summer.

Don

The ESP8266 might be of interest.

Wow! Looks like 500 ft is a walk in the park for this device right out of the box. I have this kludgey setup using an old garage door opener to relay an outdoor contact closure to my WiFi (Adafruit CC3000/Micro) SMS message generator separated by maybe 25 meters. Looks like I can stick one of these things plus a $3 Nano right at the contact and have no trouble connecting to my home's WiFi.