Transfer the water to 2 tanks in elevated level project

Dear All,
To help my Parents I was searching online to execute the Real Time Project. After month of search. I felt that it could be possible by Arduino. But sorry to say that, since I am from Mechanical background; I don't know anything about Arduino. I need your support to execute the project from the scratch. I believe that you people can help me
Concept: Transfer the water from ground level tank to elevated level storage tanks (02 nos) by fully automatic method.
Function:
While ground level tank receive the water from supply line, Control unite will be switched ON manually. Once, ground tank reach the max height, the level sensor sends the signal to ON the motor. And transfer the water to storage Tank 01 in elevate level. While water flow to Tank 01; auto valve -02 will be closed condition. Once Tank 01 is full, auto valve 01 will be closed and auto valve-02 to be open to allow the water flow to Tank-02. And Tank -02 reach the max height, the cycle function need to stop. And later power supply to control unite with be switched off.
While motor running time ground tank level to be monitored, of its reach below minimum level, motor to be off, after reaching max height again motor to be on automatically.

Any Arduino could read a couple of float switches and issue the required control commands, but the technically difficult and dangerous part of the task will be to interface with AC valves and pumps.

This is not at all a job for a beginner, and you may need a licensed plumber and electrician for a legal installation, especially if this is for drinking water.

Thanks for taking time to respond. I approach few People, they have a system to control one tank in ground level and elevated level. Since my requirements is different they are not ready to modify the system for my requirements. If I get you people guidance I can get ask them to execute the work. But I don't know what are the items required also.

Is this drinking water?
Are the storage take inside or outside?
What supplies the water?
Does your country/regional government have a building code department?
Often times a call to a building department will tell you if you need a permit and a licensed professional to do the job.
I'd recommend a 12VDC system that runs the pump off batteries and recharges them with an off the shelf charger. Then a couple DC relays and float switches and you're good to go.

This sounds unworkable. Would professionals would accept advice from unknown strangers on the Arduino forum? And how will forum members know to interface with their pumps and valves?

With an Controllino and some sensors the job is quite easy to do.
As this device is quite more industrial than standard Arduino's.
If you take the model with relay IO you can drive a pump as you like or a valve.
You also can connect IO up to 24V with it, that makes the setup much more reliable.
We will help you if you, if you are willing to help yourselves..

Sir, before trying why need to have the conclusion. Month before I won't know about Arduino. Now different, let try first.

Thanks for reply, storage tank in open area only. Water line is govt supply drinking water line. Since the arrangement is inside the house, nothing to do with Control board.
Attached the sketch

Thanks for reply. I checked about controllino, but didn't find the any latest videos, please help.
Attached the sketch

Here you can download datasheets for controllino products.
After that you will need to learn how to use a float switch.
Your controllino model may or may not have relays and you will need to check their documentation for that.
You want to use the float switch example to raise the pin that triggers the relay for the AC to the pump.

Do you already own a controllino? It's unnecessarily expensive for this project.

Being new to Arduino, you may be surprised to discover how buggy a novice can make a tiny piece of code.

Be very thorough with your testing and reflect on what will happen if a pump gets accidentally activated for hours when no-one is home.

Thanks for suggesting. No sir I don't have a controllino. Today, I sent the email, expecting positive response. Let's see.

Hello sir, yes you're correct. It will go wrong.
But to get the result, need to try first. Without trying negative thinking won't help to improve.

Indeed, I'm suggesting that you will need to be very aware of possible failure modes.

It might be worth making a system with single gallon tanks just to use for testing your code. Less risk and much faster to fill and empty so you can test over and over as you improve your program.

Note too that you can purchase a "smart" valve that will shut your mains water off if it detects too much flowing. Too much of course is configurable by you.

@anto0110, your topic has been moved to a more suitable location on the forum.

1 Like

Start with the basics. Motor requires a relay or motor starter.
That is line voltage and something you should get professional help with.

Water level is easy lots of ways to do that.

If you put a pipe between the tanks you only need to fill one of theay are level with each other. The connecting hose allows equalibrium.

The arduino can sense the water level at eacg place. Tben turn on the pump at the correct level.

Don't forget a check valve

I remain somewhat puzzled.

What part of this system suggests that a microcontroller would be in any way suitable? :worried:

A microcontroller is good for this if you want to add flow meters, analog floats, and the like so you could monitor for leaks and raise an alarm, but with the design OP proposed all you need are relays and switches for the most part.

Float switch tank 1 and/or tank 2
Could call for pump to run.
Float switch reservoir1
Could interupt the run circuit.

I don't see the need for a 3way valve for tank1 or tank2

A lower tank float switch could indicate the need to pump.

But assuming there is no reason or need to only pump at certain times. The switch control circuit would work.

A layer of complexity would be tank 1 or 2 is higher than the other.

Then a motorized valve, controlled by the lower tank float switch

Then the lower tank could fill. Its float switch would close the valve and the water would fill the higher tank until its float switch turned off the pump.

1 Like