Transferring ATMEGA168 from arduino to my circuit

I am building a POV bike light and am quite far on in my project. My aim is to program the ATMEGA168 chips on my Arduino Duemilanove and then move the chip to my new circuit which will be fitted to the bike. I've built a first prototype taking signals from the duemilanove board and it works fine.

I've also built a standalone Arduino on a breadboard and that seems to work fine too. I've made up my new circuit board combining both aspects but when I take the chip that works with the arduino/breakoutboard and plug it into my combined board nothing happens and the chip seems to be fried and will no longer allow to upload sketchs to it once i put it back in the duemilanove.

I've checked again and again that my new circuit matches the breadboard arduino layout and the working breakout board but i've no clue what to do next. What am i doing wrong / what is wrong with my new board that can fry a ATMEGA168 like that?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks,

Stuart

Starting with the obvious "is it plugged in" questions first:

1. Are you sure you oriented the chip the right way when you put it into your new board?

2. What is the power source for your new board? If > 5 v, do you have a voltage regulator?

Perhaps some pictures of your new board would help.

AVR chips are pretty rugged devices. Damage is most likely a power voltage or reversed polarity problem if the chip dies.

Lefty

There's a lot of power and current regulation that's done on the duemilanove.

What's your power source on the custom circuit board? Is it regulated somehow to 5V with adequate filtering?

Are you pulling up the reset line? How about crystal and decoupling caps?

What happens when you try to load a sketch with the chip back on the duemilanove? Have you tried reburning the bootloader?

Most of those above (last message only) won't cause the chip to fry. Nether will plugging it in the wrong way round. So you have done something more drastic than this. Can you post a photo of your setup so we can see what error you have made.