Transferring program to dedicated controller

I apologise in advance if this has been covered before.

How and what do I need to transfer the compiled program from the Arduino to a dedicated chip.

Thanks you,

Joma

Which Arduino? Which dedicated chip?

Depends on the chip you want to transfer to, and which you forgot to specify.

If you have developed your prototype on an Uno and then make a PCB (or stripboard) with an Atmega 328 on it there should be no need for any changes.

...R

You don't transfer it from the Arduino. You upload it to the new chip. Get an ISP device such as the USBasp to burn the bootloader and the sketch onto a bare chip. Be sure to add an ICSP header to your board design to make this easier.

As above but...
If possible, "shrink" the project on to a smaller IC.

Say you only need a few ports, then an Attiny85 may be a winner.

Go for SMD components (SOIC/SOT/0805/1206) for size to make them cheap but still personally/manually solder-able.

Make a prototype first...

Johnny010:
If possible, "shrink" the project on to a smaller IC.

There are certainly situations where that is a good idea - and I have done it where I needed a smaller chip to fit in a small space.

However I suspect for most projects it would waste more time than the saving in the cost of the parts.

...R

Hi All,

Thanks all for the advice/info. My original post was a general inquiry.

As it happens I'm using an Arduino Uno and as a development tool it's great so I didn't want to waste it on one project.

My thoughts were that once I had produced a working program to then somehow program a "chip" ( no specific chip so thanks for the suggestions ) such that the program would run on a relatively inexpensive device thus freeing up the Uno for other projects.

However, my expertise on "burning" such devices is nil so I wanted to know if it was possible and if it was could I use the original C code or would I have to somehow use the original code to compile it for a specific chip or convert it to Hex, or whatever, I don't know.

I've trawled though the forum looking for any suggested reading material covering this subject but have not seen anything. SO maybe I'm asking the wrong question?

Joma

jomacot:
Thanks all for the advice/info. My original post was a general inquiry.

Well, the more general the enquiry the more general the answer. The best (only?) possible answer to your original enquiry is "depends on the chip you want to transfer the program to". That's why you got bombarded with follow-up questions.

In case of the Uno, the ATMega is often placed in a socket, with the express purpose of being able to remove the chip for a more permanent project, and place a new one in the Uno.

jomacot:
My thoughts were that once I had produced a working program to then somehow program a "chip" ( no specific chip so thanks for the suggestions ) such that the program would run on a relatively inexpensive device thus freeing up the Uno for other projects.

Most of my "permanent" projects are running on Atmega328 chips mounted on stripboard and using their internal 8MHz oscillator to minimize the number of external components.

Nick Gammon has a good tutorial about programming Atmega chips. It is also worth looking at his other microprocessor tutorials.

...R

The easiest way would be to buy some ATmega328P-PU chips with the Arduino UNO bootloader pre-installed. Upload your sketch to your UNO. Unplug the ATmega containing your sketch and put it into board with the 16 MHz crystal (like a Bare Bones Board). Then you can plug a fresh ATmega into your UNO board to continue development.

ATmega328P-PU 10 for $19.59
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-PCS-ATMEGA328P-PU-Microcontrolle-r-With-ARDUINO-UNO-R3-Bootloader-/302289671341

$3 Bare Bones Arduino (10 for $27.50)
https://shop.evilmadscientist.com/tinykitlist/74-atmegaxx8

$0.80 16 MHz crystal with load capacitors (10 for $5.60)
https://shop.evilmadscientist.com/partsmenu/144-xtlcaps

$0.42 chip socket (10 for $2.00)
https://shop.evilmadscientist.com/partsmenu/275

So you can put together 10 bare-bones Arduinos for $54.69 ($5.47 each) plus whatever shippig Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories charges.

Hi Johnwassr,

That looks like the sort of thing I was trying to find out.
I'll check it out and see where I get with it.

Many thanks,

Joma