Translating projects in International :: Deutsch into English

I want to translate a number of projects from the International :: Deutsch subforum into English. Some of the projects are unique to the German speaking community, and I want to make them available to a larger audience. I don't know how to go about reposting this information, and I'd like feedback from moderators (perhaps uwefed, the Deutsch moderator) about the best way to do this.

My primary concern is that the translation should convey the nature of project development and discussion, namely the back and forth nature of talking amongst forum members. If I were to condense many posts into a single large post, I think that readability would become an issue. Would it somehow be possible for me to create a thread with a fixed number of posts so that I can translate a thread post-by-post?

A secondary concern is determining which English subforum should contain the translation since the German subforum is not divided so specifically.

I'd like feedback (concerns, questions, requests) from non-moderators too!

Thanks! I've been lurking for a long time, and I just joined the forum today to start contributing to the Arduino community.

If I understand well you want to make the whole (German) discussion available?
Can you explain why you want to do that?

Why not just explain the end result - and point to the German discussion?
students will learn that other languages are not to difficult to learn - or they learn to use Google translate :wink:

I have seen too many threads where a one to one translation would not be didactic ...

Thanks for the reply, robtillaart.

I don't want to make the whole German discussion available -- only select threads. For example, http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=73816.0 was my first intended target. I would translate one thread at a time and move on to another afterwards as time permits.

I was initially concerned about preserving the explorative nature of some of the discussions. Preserving that reduces accessibility and defeats the purpose of translating these projects for didactic reasons. Condensing the threads is therefore best. A single post will work just fine.

If a translation is technical or colloquial, then Google Translate often does a poor job. Many posts in International :: Deutsch are both technical and colloquial, so I think that a formal translation would be a good idea. Furthermore, it is often difficult to rely completely on Google Translate when it is at first unclear if contents of a project are relevant to a design or project that an individual may be trying to research.

What about selecting the English language subforum? Should I select it myself and defer to the judgement of the moderator to move it if necessary?

Can you think of anything else I should consider as I translate?

johnsontr:
Should I select it myself and defer to the judgement of the moderator to move it if necessary?

Excellent choice. Moving threads is trivial (for moderators). And most of the moderators are friendly.

Can you think of anything else I should consider as I translate?

Reduce / eliminate quoting. People tend to severely over-quote.

I've noticed that often international posters will post the same question in both an international forum and one of the english forums.
Other times, I've used google translate to see what an interesting looking title might be about, and then answered. The translations can make for interesting reading.

+1

Is the Arduino Forum :: Community :: Exhibition / Gallery a good place to show interesting (German/other) projects ?

CrossRoads:
I've noticed that often international posters will post the same question in both an international forum and one of the english forums.

I'm going to do my best to find projects that are completely unique to the German community or unique in their approach. After I translate a few projects to nail down a method for condensing content in the original threads, I may create a thread in Arduino Forum :: Community :: Exhibition / Gallery where people can put requests for my next translation.

Got it. /irony I will reference sources and the original thread, but I can't think of a circumstance where I would need to quote anything.

I will post in this thread when I post my first translation, which I think will be some time next week.