Transmission gates | Relays | Transistors

Hello,

Hopefully this is the right section to post this. My apologies if it's not.

I am looking to start working with larger voltage items and was wondering if anyone could explain the applications and uses of these items (Transmission gates | Relays | Transistors).

I've tinkered with transmission gates and relays, but haven't really got a grasp on the intricacies of them.

My specific goals are to operate:
1 9V linear actuator
3 9V Record modules (such as those from radioshack)
4 High speed motors (3-6V)

It's looking like a quad transmission gate IC would be the best option, but as I said, I don't know much about any of these.
I've read transistors can be used as amplifiers, but this is foreign to me all together.

Relays and transistors are both types of switches. Relays are quite a bit older than transistors and a lot larger. Depending on the transistors, transistors can be used for logic, and eventually things like computers, and also power control. The nice thing about transistors is they can be used to produce analog signals. There are two main basic types of transistor: MOSFET and BJT. Relays on the other hand are generally either on or off. Amplifiers make signals larger and often times invert them.

Thanks!

How would I use a transistor as a relay/gate type function?

That will get you started with the basic concept. Actually building a real circuit will take a lot more understanding of datasheets.

Thanks!

I think I have a transistor class coming up in a couple quarters, this site should be great for my project and for prepping for future classes.

I appreciate the link.