triac; what is this principle called in English?

English is not my native language, Another thread triggered this question.

What is this principle called; in Dutch, it is 'fase aansnijding'. Google translate can't be trusted :D

Voor veel Nederlandse woorden is er geen directe of letterlijke Engelse vertaling.

I would translate it as "phase angle control". Leo..

Wait, that does not capture it fully. Coming from German, where it is "Phasenanschnitt" in contrast to "Phasenabschnitt" our usually very good translation forum says "leading/trailing edge phase control" http://dict.leo.org/forum/viewUnsolvedquery.php?idThread=379301&idForum=1&lang=de&lp=ende The English Wikipedia article doesn't seem to go so much into detail https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-fired_controllers

Hi,

A rough literal translation looks like "Phase Adjusting" :-)

Phase Control

EDIT:

Wait, that does not capture it fully. Coming from German, where it is "Phasenanschnitt" in contrast to "Phasenabschnitt" our usually very good translation forum says "leading/trailing edge phase control"

Found an example here. It says "Leading-edge dimmers delay the firing angle after the zero crossing, cutting out the initial portion of the AC half-cycle and conducting the end portion. Trailing-edge dimmers operate in the opposite manner, conducting the initial portion of the AC half-cycle and cutting out the end portion."

Waveform a) Leading-edge phase control Waveform b) Trailing-edge phase control |423x500

Varying the conduction angle?

I would indeed go for phase control or to be more precise (door het woordje aan) leading edge phase control. Some things are just longer in other languages :p

But it isn’t actually controlling phase, so its a bit of a poor name.

So I opened Google and found a Wiki: Phase-fired control. Or, according to the article, phase cutting which I find a way worst name then all the above.

But I’m pretty sure I’ve seen literature that uses the therm phase control. Yep, like this Application Note of ON Semiconductor

Its a form of synchronous duty-cycle control if you think about it.

How about PWM? It just happens to be a bipolar sine pulse.

I like phase control or ac phase control. An old text of mine, "Industrial Solid-State Electronics", suggests full-wave power control.