Triangulation sensor

Hello community,

I am currently looking for a distance sensor with a very high accuracy. The usual sensors like the HC-SR04 are way to inaccurate for the project. The sensor needs to be able to measure distances in a range from around 50mm to 500mm with a high frequency.

After doing some research I found that sensors using triangulation achieve a very high accuracy but while looking for fitting products it seems rather hard to find one.

I found the ILD1420-500 which is excatly the range im looking for (datasheet: https://www.micro-epsilon.com/download/products/_laser-sensor/dax--optoNCDT-1420--en.html )

Now I'm quite curious if the someone has experience with connecting a sensor like that to an Arduino.

Greetings,
Fabian

The sensor connects to the Arduino by an RS422 interface. The Arduino doesn’t have such an interface on board but with the help of p.e. a MAX490 you can easily add this capability. The factory default baud rate is 921.6kBaud which the Arduino doesn’t support but you may use 1MBaud, chances are high that the sensor will work with that.

Thanks for your reply.

Shouldn’t it be easy to connect with the analog output of: 4…20 mA (1…5 V with cable PCF1420-3/U)?

Greetings

Shouldn't it be easy to connect with the analog output of: 4…20 mA (1…5 V with cable PCF1420-3/U)?

I thought you need a high accuracy? Forget your 1mm with the internal hardware. If you have a digital interface it's quite stupid to use the analog version if you need accuracy. You always loose accuracy if you convert to analog and back to digital.