Tried Everything. Still getavrdude.exe: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x30

This is driving me nuts!!!

I have an Arduino Uno. It *was working, then it stopped right when I was going to do my final update to the board. Now it will happily compile, an upload ends with the above error and no TX or RX action on the board, which usually means a difficulty accessing the com port. I've checked, I have the correct com port selected, the correct board selected, and I have tried it with virus scanning and firewalls turned off.

I've tried;
assigning the com port again in the IDE interface
Assigning a different com port in Device manager then selecting that port in the Arduino IDE
rebooting the computer
Uninstalling then Reinstalling the IDE environment
uninstalling then updating the driver from the Device Manager
Unplugging everything from the Arduino except the USB
Praying to buddha
Sacrificing a goat

But no matter what, the Arduino stays resoloutely out of sync. Is my shield dead? The only idiosyncrasy I could detect is after I uninstalled the driver using the device manager and reinstalled the IDE Environment, the device hardware was automatically installed when I plugged the USB cable in. No browsing to find the drivers and 'have disk' and all that. Does this imply that the drivers never really uninstalled? How do I uninstall them properly if not from the device manager?

Soooo frustrating!! Thanks for any help!!

Markus

Disconnect all wires from the Arduino and try loopback test to determine whether the board communicates...

Update; just tried the Loopback test and everything seems to be working.

According to the post, "The test proves that the host computer, hardware driver, USB cable, and USB to serial converter are all working." so what gives?

Markus

USB on the Arduino board (Atmega 16U2) communicates with AtmegaXXX on the Arduino board using UART. UART is wired also to RX and TX pins (digital pins 0 and 1). When these pins are connected to something the communication between these two chips is disturbed and thus also between the computer and the board. Loopback test bypases AtmegaXXX firmware (bootloader) and ones and zeros can freely flow between the transmitter and receiver.

So Loopback test works okay, but I'm still getting the 'getsync' error. I'm totally stuck!

No idea how to zero in in the problem from here. Any ideas? Should I just get another Uno R3 board and see if that helps?

Markus

so you now have disconnected from pin D0 and D1 ?? (when uploading)

I actually never had anything connected to DO or D1. I *did have connections to A0, A1 and D2-5 as well as 5V and Gnd. I pulled everything out and tried uploading to the board with only USB plugged in. Still no joy.

se this: (other post said v023 was OK)
You will find 2 changes from v0.22 to v1.05
Maybe try a small change in the boards.txt file ??
##############################################################
// ver 1.05
uno.name=Arduino Uno
uno.upload.protocol=arduino
uno.upload.maximum_size=32256
uno.upload.speed=115200
uno.bootloader.low_fuses=0xff
uno.bootloader.high_fuses=0xde
uno.bootloader.extended_fuses=0x05
uno.bootloader.path=optiboot
uno.bootloader.file=optiboot_atmega328.hex
uno.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
uno.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F
uno.build.mcu=atmega328p
uno.build.f_cpu=16000000L
uno.build.core=arduino
uno.build.variant=standard
##############################################################
// ver 0.22
uno.name=Arduino Uno
uno.upload.protocol=stk500
uno.upload.maximum_size=32256
uno.upload.speed=115200
uno.bootloader.low_fuses=0xff
uno.bootloader.high_fuses=0xde
uno.bootloader.extended_fuses=0x05
uno.bootloader.path=optiboot
uno.bootloader.file=optiboot_atmega328.hex
uno.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
uno.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F
uno.build.mcu=atmega328p
uno.build.f_cpu=16000000L
uno.build.core=arduino