TROUBLE AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN TO UPLOAD MY SKECTCH

You experts out there have not been helpful in the past to identify the problem. Here I go again: error message: Arduino: 1.8.1 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Arduino Pro or Pro Mini, ATmega328 (5V, 16 MHz)"

Sketch uses 4976 bytes (16%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30720 bytes. Global variables use 218 bytes (10%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1830 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes. avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM8": The system cannot find the file specified.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with "Show verbose output during compilation" option enabled in File -> Preferences.

On my PC in manager hardware list I do not see the port message as I did for the past year or more. I have my Arduino Pro Mini wirewd to a Arduino Uno as I have seen demonstrated by other people. I cannot upload sketch as other people seem to do effortlessly. The problem I believe is on my PC. Whay in the hell it does not show the port when I have my Arduino Uno cable connected. ????????????? Any Ideas would be really appreciated or I am going to abandon Arduino platform as it is too problematic.

Pierre Salsiccia

As you already said yourself, it is not Arduino platform that is problematic, it is your PC.

My advice: install Ubuntu.

Did you install all the Arduino drivers? What USB-serial chip does your Uno have? Have you looked at Device Manager?

Uh, is the correct serial port selected? Check tools -> ports menu.

That error indicates you've got a port selected that doesn't exist - windows changes assigned com port numbers nearly at random sometimes.

If the menu is greyed out, yet board is plugged in, that indicates either driver or hardware issues.

Have you tried a new cable? Buy a new UNO and try that.

Do you have another PC you can try?

Make a post, disappear for 3 days with no feedback to those trying to help. That'll make friends.

You experts out there have not been helpful in the past...

I don't think the OP's expectations were very high.

At least there is a question there: "Whay in the hell it does not show the port when I have my Arduino Uno cable connected." Bad cable, USB/Serial chip on Uno died are two most likely. I have a FTDI Basic clone on the end of cable that's been all over my living room & dining room for the longest time, has never died. Unos & Megas with 16U2, you read of failed USB interfacing constantly.

Does the Loopback test work in the OPs Uno? Was a different cable tried? We may never know.

CrossRoads:
I have a FTDI Basic clone on the end of cable that’s been all over my living room & dining room for the longest time, has never died. Unos & Megas with 16U2, you read of failed USB interfacing constantly.

Indeed - similar deal with the el-cheapo CH340G’s. They come shipped over from china in non-static bags, you can throw them around and treat them with utmost disrespect - and I’ve never had one fail on me.

It’s sort of a shame how the official boards are less resilient than the knockoffs.

CrossRoads: At least there is a question there: "Whay in the hell it does not show the port when I have my Arduino Uno cable connected." Bad cable, USB/Serial chip on Uno died are two most likely. I have a FTDI Basic clone on the end of cable that's been all over my living room & dining room for the longest time, has never died. Unos & Megas with 16U2, you read of failed USB interfacing constantly.

Does the Loopback test work in the OPs Uno? Was a different cable tried? We may never know.

I have had a similar problem. The Port is grayed out and not indication that the Arduino is recognized by the computer. In my case it has happened on two Arduinos in the last month. I use Fedora 25 so have a little more capability, and still I haven't figured out what is wrong or why it broke, but I'm pretty sure it broke. With one the (I think pin 13) light doesn't even flash, so I suspect the bootloader has been fried. The other the pin 13 light flashes, and the port is ok, but the avrdude cannot upload code. Again, fried board I think.

So my suggestion is get another board or try another PC.