Trouble burning bootloader to ATTiny45 using Leonardo

I followed this guide:

http://dev.mikamai.com/post/78652180658/how-to-program-an-attiny85-or-attiny45-with-an

Unfortunately, despite double- and triple-checking the connections and the options in the IDE, I end up with the following error messages. Google has been of no help so far.

avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Mar 30 2015 at 14:56:06 Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/ Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM25 Using Programmer : stk500v1 Overriding Baud Rate : 19200 avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03 avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03 ...

Did you upload the Arduino ISP before making the connections?

(deleted)

This is about a leonardo, so don’t add a capacitor to disable autoreset (no action is needed to disable autoreset on a leonardo)
Read this
A bit lengthy but I bet points 1,2 and 7 will do.

Hmm, if you followed the turorial you mentioned then 1 and 2 of my writeup are already OK. Check point 7 (about using -carduino instead of -cstk500v1), I bet it will do the job.

Thanks for your suggestions. I ended up trying Arduino 1.0.6 and it works fine. Under 1.6.3 I don't get the Arduino as ISP (Leonardo) option under Tools > Programmer. Why would that be?

Because in 1.6.x there is an extra level in the sketchbook directory to distinguish between avr and sam (and possibly others). Do you use a core for your attiny? If so you can put it in there. E.g. I use Coding Badly's core, it is underneath sketchbookdir/hardware/tiny-coding-badly/. So if I put the definition of " Arduino as ISP (Leonardo)" in sketchbookdir/hardware/tiny-coding-badly/avr/programmers.txt, it works.

I now have the programmers.txt in sketchbookdir/hardware/leofix/avr/ and it's still not showing under Tools > Programmer.

Indeed. Same here (linux). It seems to only work if I put it in a real core. Maybe just install Coding Badly's tiny core?