Trouble getting started with JUNIPER- Wi-Fi Shield

Hi,

I'm trying to use a Juniper/GainSpan Wi-Fi shield over an Arduino UNO to communicate with my Wi-Fi router.

JUNIPER- WiFi Shield for Arduino Based on GainSpan Module http://www.cutedigi.com/wireless/wifi/juniper-wifi-shield-for-arduino-based-on-gainspan-module.html

I'm stuck at the really beginning at trying to send serial command to the GainSpan.

I was unable to find any good documentation on this Wi-Fi shield and I'm unsure on how to proceed to send the AT commands to de module.

After hours of reading, I am under the impression that the shield uses the same UART as the UNO itself and to be able to communicate, I need to remove the Atmega328.

The jumpers J4 and J5 are ON to connect to the TX/RX of the Arduino.

For the other switches, I tried them all without any success.

Anybody here have any luck with this Wi-Fi Shield? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The problem with the shield using the UART interface to talk to the Arduino is that you can't also use the UART interface to talk to the PC (via the USB cable). I don't think it would help to remove the 386 chip because the USB-to-Serial chip TX line would be going to the shield's TX line. Similarly the RX lines would be connected together. This is like trying to use a phone upside-down: speaking into the earpiece and trying to listen to the microphone.

The best solution is to re-wire the shield to use pins 2 and 3 instead of 0 and 1. Then you can use SoftwareSerial to communicate with the shield while you use Serial to communicate with the PC.

Thank you for your help.

I followed your advice and moved to pin 2 and 3.
I also moved from USB to external power for the Arduino.
I had to add a delay when sending data from the Arduino IDE to the shield since it did not like receiving data at once.

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>
SoftwareSerial mySerial(2, 3);

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
  mySerial.begin(9600);

Serial.print("Setup Done");   
}

void loop()
{
   if (mySerial.available())
    Serial.write(mySerial.read());