Trouble Powering Mega/Wifi/Motor With External Power

Hi,

Looking for some battery help here. I bought 3 2000mAh LiPo 3.7V batteries to power my mega, motor shield (two small dc motors attahced (these require at least 5V to run)) and wifi shield. I realised now that probably isnt enough, but im having trouble working out what is. I connected up the 3 batteries in series, at full charge that gives aboout 11v (give or take), to the Vin/GND on the stacked microprocessor etc. unfortunately that does not power it, and im not sure why.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, if i havent givern enough detail just ask.

Thanks, Im fairly new to this, im more of a programmer, so if ive said anything dumb, feel free to correct me :)

What does it power?

Start with just the Arduino, and see if that works. Then start adding things and see when it fails - that is the component that is tipping it over the edge.

You might want to add an ammeter in the mix too, to see what the current draw is.

I tried to power the arduino by itself, via the Vin pin with 2 batteries (just under 8 volts) and i get nothing, im confused by why that doesnt work.

Update: this didnt occur to me, i switched the wires around, so the + went to Vin and - went to Gnd and it suddenly started working, so it seems i was just wiring it wrong.

zekdude:
I tried to power the arduino by itself, via the Vin pin with 2 batteries (just under 8 volts) and i get nothing, im confused by why that doesnt work.

Update: this didnt occur to me, i switched the wires around, so the + went to Vin and - went to Gnd and it suddenly started working, so it seems i was just wiring it wrong.

D’oh :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the reply anyway :)