Trouble reading voltages on analog input

Hi all

I’m using my Arduino Uno to read voltages between 0-12v using the analog inputs. This is set up in a vehicle. I’m using a regulator to supply 12v to the arduino Vin

I check my source with a multimeter and i’m reading 5v but the arduino is not reading any value.
I have tried using the AREF and i’m reading 4.5-5v no problem.
Any ideas?

The signal Gnd must be connected to the Arduino Gnd.

If you divide the 12V signal down to about 1V you can/should use the 1.1V ADC reference voltage.

Your program?

You can use a resistor divider to bring the voltage into range, 0-5 volts. To start determine the highest voltage you will see under fault conditions. Use this as your input voltage for calculation purposes. Then use the resistor divider to calculate the resistors. http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/voltage-divider-calculator I like to use something in the 2.2K range for the lower end and a 5.1K for the upper end. You can read the internal references and Pseudo calibrate your A/D converter on a regular basis, to compensate for the drift of the 5V regulator if you are worried about drift. If this is more then a test you need to delve into the problems you will encounter with automotive power systems.

DrDiettrich:

If you divide the 12V signal down to about 1V you can/should use the 1.1V ADC reference voltage.

I’ve connected the signal gnd to the Arduino gnd (not show in my shcematic) and still reading 0v

JCA34F:
Your program?

int analogInput = 1;
float vout = 0.0;
float vin = 0.0;
float R1 = 10000.0; // resistance of R1 (100K) -see text!
float R2 = 1000.0; // resistance of R2 (10K) - see text!
int value = 0;

void setup() {
  //start serial connection
  Serial.begin(9600);
  //configure pin 2 as an input and enable the internal pull-up resistor

}

void loop(){
   // read the value at analog input
   value = analogRead(analogInput);
   vout = (value * 5.0) / 1024.0; // see text
   vin = vout / (R2/(R1+R2)); 
   if (vin<0.09) {
   vin=0.0;//statement to quash undesired reading !
} 
  Serial.println(vin);

delay(500);
}

gilshultz:
You can use a resistor divider to bring the voltage into range, 0-5 volts. To start determine the highest voltage you will see under fault conditions. Use this as your input voltage for calculation purposes. Then use the resistor divider to calculate the resistors. http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/voltage-divider-calculator I like to use something in the 2.2K range for the lower end and a 5.1K for the upper end. You can read the internal references and Pseudo calibrate your A/D converter on a regular basis, to compensate for the drift of the 5V regulator if you are worried about drift. If this is more then a test you need to delve into the problems you will encounter with automotive power systems.

I’ve built a voltage divider as per my schematic (attached), but i’m still reading 0v

I’m guessing this is all a gnd issue but i can’t figure out exactly where

DrDiettrich:

Which pin supplies 1.1 reference voltage?

Use analogReference() to switch the reference voltage

Use any DVM to measure the voltage on the voltage divider and analog input.

F

DrDiettrich:
Use analogReference() to switch the reference voltage

Use any DVM to measure the voltage on the voltage divider and analog input.

Fixed! Thanks