Trouble Shooting. Blink Sketch Failed to Upload to Arduino Uno board.

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 928 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
Problem uploading to board. See Arduino Help Center for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

also my only port available is "/dev/cu.Bluetooth-incoming-Port
"Serial ports" title is grayed above name of only available ports so I can't click on that.

my laptop is 2017 MacBook Air, and it's Mac OS X High Sierra 10.13.6

what do I need to do get more serial ports be available if I needed or wanted to?
the USB cable did power on the Arduino board so it looks connected but not sure why blink sketch thing couldn't upload to board. and I will tell you again my only port that is check marked and available is "/dev/cu.Bluetooth-incoming-ports

No I''m not getting rid of my Mac just to solve one issue.

Please read with focus.

I just need sources where and how I can get the right serial port... drivers...

I don't wanna be stuck with this problem forever. if you know something I can do for my Mac to solve this issue and get past it then please tell me.

please help.

Get rid of the Mac. (Sorry, personal bias). Those error messages suggest that the port is not available, which you’ve probably already guessed. It sometimes though, reflects a poor installation of the IDE. Remember that the IDE is a Java app. Java apps at best are not the most reliable on the planet, despite the media hype. Try reinstalling the IDE. If you still don’t see any ports available, then it’s a Mac problem and beyond my pay grade.

If you do not see a serial port in the tools menu then that means that the Uno or your USB connector is not working correctly.
Try a different lead and a different USB port. Your problem has nothing to do with you having a Mac.

On Windoze, the failure to add a serial port when the Arduino is plugged in usually indicates that you have not installed the required drivers.

Is such a thing required on a Mac?

Is such a thing required on a Mac?

No not with genuine Arduinos.
Some of the clones use a cheap CH340 chip and that does need a driver installing on a Mac.

M3553N63R_M: Grumpy_mikes post #4 contains the most logical solution.

If you do not know if you own a genuine Uno or a Chinese clone, please post a decent photograph of the component (top) side of the board so we can identify what you have.

If your Arduino’s USB-to-Serial chip is not showing up as a serial port you may need to install a driver. What is the label on the chip near the USB port (UNO/MEGA) or on the bottom of the board (Nano)? Common choices are:

• ATMEL MEGA16U2 (Official Arduino UNO/MEGA and some clones) Driver installed with Arduino IDE
  • FTDI FT232RL (Official Arduino Diecimila/Duemilenove/Nano and most older clones) Driver comes with IDE
  • WCH CH340G (Most newer clones) Download from http://WWW.WCH.CN

avr_fred:

If you do not know if you own a genuine Uno or a Chinese clone, please post a decent photograph of the component (top) side of the board so we can identify what you have.

I Found out why I was having trouble, I have wrong cable for Arduino Uno that the kit came with. I need a certain USB to serial Converter cable that works with Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6 that has certain named connections that I am not 100 % sure of to get yet. and taking photos of the Arduino Uno and the cable it came with is good idea to me.

. I need a certain USB to serial Converter cable that works with Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6

No you don’t.

But you might on your Mac if you have a new one that does not actually have USB ports.

avr_fred:

I have Dropbox links to pictures of what I have.

By the way, the color of my Arduino board is green NOT blue.

That photograph shows it is not green. Do you have a colour vision deficiency? It is not blue either but Teal.

but any way, there are the links to my pics, one is video of the cable.

Are you taking the piss? What use is a video of the cable itself? It is the ends that are important.

I have Dropbox links to pictures of what I have.

Read the rules How to use this forum

Drop box is not a suitable place to put photographs here.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html.

OPs UNO, its a true Arduino UNO
pic1.jpg

Thanks… Tom… :slight_smile:

Hi,

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html.

Tom... :slight_smile:

Hi,
Please post a picture of the cable you are using please.

Thanks.. Tom.. :slight_smile:

I have an idea of what cable I need, and what cables are supported by my Mac, 3.0 USB cable, and learned USB is universal Serial Bus and this information on system information information app that shows available port connections. yes, I may need to show ends of cable. I am now looking into buying a cable that is 3.0 that connects both mac and Arduino Uno.

I recommend you order a USBasp with a 6-pin cable ($2.30) {or the more common one with a 10-pin cable ($1.59) and a separate 6-pin adapter ($0.77)} from eBay. It will take a while to arrive from China but it will make firmware uploading much easier.

johnwasser:
I recommend you order a USBasp with a 6-pin cable ($2.30) {or the more common one with a 10-pin cable ($1.59) and a separate 6-pin adapter ($0.77)} from eBay. It will take a while to arrive from China but it will make firmware uploading much easier.

can you give a URL link to exact items you recommend?

M3553N63R_M:
can you give a URL link to exact items you recommend?

OK. USBasp with a 6-pin cable ($2.30)

If that unit is no longer available: Search for "USBasp 6pin", "Buy It Now"", and sort by "Price + Shipping: lowest first":
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=USBASP+6pin&_sacat=0&_sop=15&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1
Scroll down past the 10-pin to 6-pin adapters until you find the USBasp devices (little circuit board with USB plug at one end and 6-pin cable connector at the other).

You can get a USBasp for less money ($1.59) but it will have a 10-pin connector and a 10-pin cable. The Arduino uses a 6-pin connector so you would need to buy an adapter, which will bring the price to more than the 6-pin model. Since you can buy adapters in packs of five or ten, you might be able to save some money that way if you are buying in quantity.

At these prices, shipping time will be relatively long (3 to 8 weeks). If you want it faster you can look for an eBay vendor in your country or on your continent. You may not be able to find a 6-pin model but you can get a 10-pin model and adapter for about $7. That isn't bad and it should arrive in 9 days instead of 21 to 56. If you want it in two days and have Amazon Prime you can get a 10-pin one including a 6-pin adapter for about $9.

johnwasser:
OK. USBasp with a 6-pin cable ($2.30)
Wire AVR Programmer USBasp USB ISP ATMEGA8 Support Win7 64Bit 5V ATMEGA128+6PIN | eBay

If that unit is no longer available: Search for "USBasp 6pin", "Buy It Now"", and sort by "Price + Shipping: lowest first":
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=USBASP+6pin&_sacat=0&_sop=15&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1
Scroll down past the 10-pin to 6-pin adapters until you find the USBasp devices (little circuit board with USB plug at one end and 6-pin cable connector at the other).

You can get a USBasp for less money ($1.59) but it will have a 10-pin connector and a 10-pin cable. The Arduino uses a 6-pin connector so you would need to buy an adapter, which will bring the price to more than the 6-pin model. Since you can buy adapters in packs of five or ten, you might be able to save some money that way if you are buying in quantity.

At these prices, shipping time will be relatively long (3 to 8 weeks). If you want it faster you can look for an eBay vendor in your country or on your continent. You may not be able to find a 6-pin model but you can get a 10-pin model and adapter for about $7. That isn't bad and it should arrive in 9 days instead of 21 to 56. If you want it in two days and have Amazon Prime you can get a 10-pin one including a 6-pin adapter for about $9.

And you are aware that the Arduino Uno board has Atmega328p-pu micro controller(the heart of the board) not atmega128..... right?

johnwasser:
If your Arduino’s USB-to-Serial chip is not showing up as a serial port you may need to install a driver. What is the label on the chip near the USB port (UNO/MEGA) or on the bottom of the board (Nano)? Common choices are:

• ATMEL MEGA16U2 (Official Arduino UNO/MEGA and some clones) Driver installed with Arduino IDE
  • FTDI FT232RL (Official Arduino Diecimila/Duemilenove/Nano and most older clones) Driver comes with IDE
  • WCH CH340G (Most newer clones) Download from http://WWW.WCH.CN

ATMEL MEGA16U2 on tiny chip near USB port(official Arduino Uno/Mega). the micro controller heart of the board is Atmel1736/ Atmega328p-pu.