Trouble uploading programs

Hi, I am new to this and just installed Arduino on my MacBook. I started going through the tutorials and when trying to upload I get the following message:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x86 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

I read through the troubleshooting section a few times and have tried different things, but cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. Anyone have any ideas?

thanks.

(deleted)

oops. I am using an Arduino Uno connected with a USB and so I have those selected when I have the software open. here is where I admit I don't know what IDE means.

(deleted)

Drew,

Yes, I selected the correct board and port. The power light is on and the LED is blinking. It just won't upload the program. I tried to change the time in the "blink" program, thinking maybe messing around with the delay between blinks might work, and it did not. I just keep getting that same message.

-aman

as an aside, your icon is awesome. I knew if anyone could help me, it would be Batman.

(deleted)

2 new ports popped up. I tried both. Still not working. I appreciate your trying to help me figure it out.

(deleted)

Ok, I will totally give that a try. Thank you again!