Trouble Uploading Sketch with ATmega328

Hello,

I recently bought the Arduino Uno and two extra ATmega328's (w/ the Arduino bootloader) from sparkfun. Everything has worked great so far, but when I removed the original ATmega328, and tried replacing it with the either of the ones I bought from sparkfun, I couldn't upload sketches to them.

Operating System: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx Board: Arduino Uno Upload Messages:

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct 22 2007 at 13:15:12 Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean,

System wide configuration file is "/home/kevin/Arduino/arduino-0021/hardware/tools/avrdude.conf" User configuration file is "/home/kevin/.avrduderc" User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port : /dev/ttyACM0 Using Programmer : stk500v1 Overriding Baud Rate : 115200 avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20] avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: Send: Q [51] [20] avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

The LED blinks when I reset so it seems to me like the bootloader is on there, and when I try to upload it does the reset and I see one blip on the RX, and then it tries again, and nothing.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks, Kevin

The original ATmegaBOOOT bootloader has a bit transfer rate that is different from the rate used by the optiboot bootloader on chips supplied with the Uno.

I'm guessing that your Sparkfun chips have the older bootloader. (Not necessarily a Bad Thing. The old one should work just fine---if you know the trick.)

Try the following:

• Put the Sparkfun chip in your board.
  • Start Arduino.
  • For Board type in Arduino->tools, select Arduino Duemilanove or Nano w/ ATmega328

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Dave

Footntote: I don't have an Uno to test, but I have done the inverse: I burned an optiboot loader into an ATmega328 and plugged that into my Duemilanove.

Then I selected Arduino Uno as the Board Type, and was able to upload my sketches.

Note that this was just a feasibility experiment. I went back to using the original bootloader for everyday use (for a couple of reasons).

I was thinking of getting an Uno. I had already put it on my Xmas list, but I just retracted it. Now I'm thinking that I'll not try it until someone credibly reports success in solving the Linux/ACMxx/java rxtx/optiboot (or whatever...) problems that have been reported.

Thanks, that solved it.