Trouble using IR Sensor and Libraries

Hey everyone,

I am currently working on a project based on Infrared Control and I have some issues using that.
I have an arduino uno kit from SainSmart and inside it is an infrared sensor the VS 1838B about wich I can only find chinese documentation --'

Anyway my problem is that I tried a few days ago to use my receiver to print the value it receives on the serial monitor from one of the exemple of the IRLib library and it worked just find. However, I tried again recently and now, nothing appears on the serial monitor.

The second test was made on another computer and a more recent version of arduino, could this be the problem?

I tried changing the pin the sensor is connected too but with no succes. I also tested other libraries but I still get nothing. The remote seems to work just fine since I can see its flickering with a camera.

Could my sensor be dead? Should I get another one?

Thanks,

Cecomog:
Hey everyone,

I am currently working on a project based on Infrared Control and I have some issues using that.
I have an arduino uno kit from SainSmart and inside it is an infrared sensor the VS 1838B about wich I can only find chinese documentation --'

Anyway my problem is that I tried a few days ago to use my receiver to print the value it receives on the serial monitor from one of the exemple of the IRLib library and it worked just find. However, I tried again recently and now, nothing appears on the serial monitor.

The second test was made on another computer and a more recent version of arduino, could this be the problem?

I tried changing the pin the sensor is connected too but with no succes. I also tested other libraries but I still get nothing. The remote seems to work just fine since I can see its flickering with a camera.

Could my sensor be dead? Should I get another one?

Thanks,

More recent version of arduino, what does that mean ?
Is it a different one ?

No, the first time I tried it was at my school and they have the 1.3 version of the arduino software while I have the 1.6.5 on my computer.

That could well be the problem.

Does the code compile without errors

What vversion of ir lib are you using.

Yes, when I compile I get nothing it tells me everything went fine.

Do you get anything on your serial monitor, (have you got the baud rate set correctly ?)

What remote are you using to test it with.

EDIT

You can test if the serial is working correctly with print statements or a hello world sketch.

If your remote is a B and O or an older panasonic you wont be able to read them, there may be others

No, nothing at all appears on the serial. The baud is set to 9600 wich as I understood is the right setting.

The remote I use is the one present in this kit: http://www.sainsmart.com/starter-kits/uno-r3-smartkits/sainsmart-uno-r3-starter-kit-with-16-basic-arduino-projects.html

But I can't get much details about it.

I tried a hello world and it worked just fine.

It does sound as though its a hardware problem then.
Annoyingly maplins only do the 2 pin photo detector not the 3 pin type so you will have to wait until monday.