Trouble Using Rover 5 Motor Driver to drive 12V DC motor

I have been searching Forum Posts, Youtube videos, and the internet in general in my free time for days. This forum is my last hope for my project. I've tried my best. I will be as detailed as I can.

SETUP:
Arduino Uno with the following Code:

int th = 6;

void setup() {
  // put your setup code here, to run once:

pinMode(th, OUTPUT);

}
void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:
analogWrite(th, 255);

}

Interfacing with the "Rover 5 Motor Driver" (Ill refer to as the R5MD) which has a USER MANUAL found in the following link:

R5MD output to Motor
At the output of R5MD channel 1 (just - and + terminals) is my 12V DC motor.
Check.
I have connected 5v logic output from arduino to the 5v positive "Vcc" terminal on R5MD.
Check.
It's Ground counterpart is going back to my arduino's ground.
Check.

Arduino output to R5MD
At the channel 1 input, there is a PWM pin, which arduino pin 6 is connected to.
Check.
The channel 1 input's ground pin is connected to arduino ground pin.
Check.

Though I am not currently connected to channel 1's current sensing and direction pins, connecting to, and writing to, those pins did not work for me. According to the User Manual cited above, those are not needed for the motor to turn. The direction pin will receive a "Low" and the motor will just subsequently rotate a certain direction.

Power
I am using a BK Precision 1760 DC power supply. I have voltage set to about 11V with the current knob sitting at about 1/4 its turn. I have tried turning this knob up to about half its turn and... no motor activity.

How and Where power is connected?
I have positive and negative connected to positive and negative terminals on the R5MD "Vbat" location.

PROBLEM:
With my code and setup, I believe that this motor should currently be rotating right now. period. Pin 6 on the Arduino is, indeed, a PWM pin. In my code, you are able to see that I have analogWrite(pin, 255) which is guess is the same as digitalWrite(pin, HIGH). Regardless, this change is part of my long list of attempts to get this to work.

What DOES work:

the 12V DC Motor
-when connected directly to the benchtop power supply, the motor spins so hard it shakes out of my hand

-the voltage from + to - terminals on Vcc read 4.55V on a multimeter. Replaced the arduino as a 5V source with an actual 5V source (4-6.5V center supply on benchtop) and still no results

-There is, indeed, an 11v potential from + to - terminal on Vbat

-from pin 6 output to arduino ground is reading 4.6V

-I checked for continuity from end to end of all of the sections of the breadboard is was using and nothing wrong there.

-the board is rated for 5A

...The weird thing about all of this was that I had this motor turning a couple of days ago with what I thought was the same setup as I have now... but apparently not.

I dont know what else to do, friends :frowning:

Got It!! got it, got it, got it!! My set up is correct.

Problem1: The jumper leading to the PWM input to channel 1 was bad. I checked for continuity through the wire and there was none!! I wouldn't have expected a jumper wire to break inside of the insulation, let alone not have continuity by contact of the two broken ends at the break.

Problem 2: I also had to switch channels! Though nothing appeared to be fried on the board, channel one was not outputting. I moved my motor terminals to channel 3 and [obviously] moved my R5MD input pins to channel 3. My motor came to life!!! HE LIVES!!!!

Glad to know it works. I use the same system from sparkfun to build this cool steps climbing robot Stair Climbing Robot - Machine Design Project - YouTube

Cheap jumper wires are very thin (little current carrying capacity) and often
fragile (bend too many times and fails). Using solid-core insulated wire is more
robust for a fixed installation (cut to the right lengths, bend to neat layout). Solid
core will take an amp or so easily (make sure its thick enough for female headers).

Hi,
Can you go and add [SOLVED] to your topic title, so that it can be seen as a resolved problem.

Thanks Tom..... :slight_smile: