Trouble with Arduino as ISP.

Hello,

I am trying to use an Arduino micro, as an ISP programmer. I have uploaded the sketch to the micro, and the LEDs are working. I did change the clock speed to 16,000,000. I have then connected a Uno via the ICSP connectors, and 6 way ribbon cable. I do have a 10uF capacitor connected from reset to GND.

I changed board to Uno, but left the com port as the micro on com 10, also changed programmer to Arduino as ISP.

When I try to upload a blink sketch to the Uno i get the following error message.

avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature. Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check.

Can anyone please help?

Maybe stupid question, do you click File => Upload Using Programmer? The normal upload button will try to program the micro...

Septillion, thanks for the reply.

Yes I am doing that. I found a post about using the micro as ISP. They got it to work by changing reset pin to 10, instead of SS. and manually connecting pin 10 to the ribbon cable Tried this, now the error has changed to.

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03