Trouble with the install.

I run Opensuse linux 13.2 and downloaded the tar file

I extracted and tried the install which yielded a lot of errors as this:

hexdump@Corky-PC:~/Arduino/arduino-1.8.2> ./install.sh

Adding desktop shortcut, menu item and file associations for Arduino IDE...xdg-mime: file '/home/hexdump/Arduino/arduino-1.8.2/lib/cc.arduino.arduinoide.xml' does not exist
xdg-icon-resource: icon name 'cc.arduino.arduinoide' does not have a proper vendor prefix
A vendor prefix consists of alpha characters ([a-zA-Z]) and is terminated ===============
There were a lot more like the last 2 statements.

However when I try and run arduino I get what looks like a proper screen display then a screen error that says:

Your copy of arduino is installed in a subfolder of your sketchbook. Please move the IDE to another folder.

I have no clue what it is telling me to do.

Regards,
George

for install problems. The developers are aware of this issue and it’s been fixed for 1.8.3 (see the github issue linked from that other thread)

You cannot run Arduino if you have installed it to a location inside the sketchbook folder (/home/username/Arduino on Linux) - that causes all manner of problems ( Installing the IDE to the sketchbook folder causes havoc · Issue #2719 · arduino/Arduino · GitHub ). Install it to a different location.