Troubles getting started wit a pop-168/Mini

I got given a ardunio based robot for Christmas and have yet to get it fully working. It has a version of the Ardunio Mini called POP-168.

The problem I am having is I cannot get any programes uploaded to the bored. I have tried both MAC and Windows computers. The error I get in MAC os is : avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding and in Windows os: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: skt500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I have tried using the following to upload to the bored. An Ardunio UNO with the chip removed. An FTDI breakout bord An FTDI to usb cable. and a serial to usb cable.

I have connected a LED to pin 13 and it flashes every second or so but pressing reset does not make the led flash, only makes it dim if the reset button is held down. In the manufactures manual it says that the programming button on the board has to be held to enter the chip into programming mode. But that makes no difference. I have spent so much time and money trying to get it to work so any help would be great. thanks colin