Troubles using arduino Yun web interface(luci)

Hi.

I have been using the arduino Yun web interface to configure wifi for 6 months. I was configuring networks, connect to networks, etc.

Normaly, when I wanted the Yun as a client, I was connecting to the Yun wifi network ‘’ Arduino-YunXXXXXX’’, entered password ‘‘arduino’’ and connected to a network using the ‘‘wireless parameters’’ directly on the first configuration page.

Sometimes, I wanted the Yun as an Access Point.I was connecting to the Yun wifi network ‘’ Arduino-YunXXXXXX’’, entered password ‘‘arduino’’, reach ‘‘advanced configuration panel (luci)’’, reach ‘‘network’’ tab and ‘‘wifi’’ tab. I was then able to set a wireless name and password.

For some reasons I can’t explain, I can’t work with the interface anymore.

For the client mode, I can’t connect to any network because I can’t see a network on the first configuration panel. I could pretend that the Yun cannot scan for networks. But, when I run a linux command ''iwlist wlan0 scan |grep ‘Address:|Channel:|Quality|ESSID’ ‘’, I can see every networks near my position. I had the idea to use the function ‘‘scan’’ in the wifi tab of luci. Again, nothing happened…

When I try to change name and password of wireless network in Access Point, something special happens when I click on ‘‘Save and Apply’’. It keeps saying ‘‘Waiting for changes to be applied…’’ for ever. I have attached a picture of this status.

Also, every wifi status of the Yun on luci keeps saying ‘‘Collecting data…’’. See attached picture.

I am able to connect to a network or even create a network (access point) using the linux commands below:

/sbin/uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[0].mode=ap
/sbin/uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[0].ssid="Network SSID"
/sbin/uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[0].encryption=wpa2-psk
/sbin/uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[0].key="Network key" 

/sbin/uci commit wireless
wifi down
wifi up
/sbin/uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[0].mode=sta
/sbin/uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[0].ssid="SSID"
/sbin/uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[0].encryption=wpa2-psk
/sbin/uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[0].key="Key" 

/sbin/uci commit wireless
wifi down
wifi up

So I believe every things is fine with hardware wifi modules. I have this problem with 4 differents Yun. Every Yun could be configure by the luci interface before. What happened??

As anyone ever have this kind of problem? If so, how can I fix it? Any suggestion?

I forgot to mention that I must use the web interface, since anyone could be ask to configure wifi and I don't want them to use Linux commands.

I just tried luci with my Iphone and it used to work ! After one moth having this problem just have the wonderful idea to check with my phone :)

It may be my browser? I have tried it so far with 3 differents browser : Chrome, Firefox and Internet.

up

@firefrench999, are you still working on this issue? Jesse

@jessemonroy650

Yes I am.

I can't find the exact problem but I am pretty sure it comes from the computer I use. Since I am at work, it is not my personnal PC. I had the idea to try it with different PC at work and the problem is still there with 4 differents PC, over 5 different Yun. Those PC have the same antivirus, same configurations, etc.

I must precise that the web interface has no bugs when the Yun is set to factory. As soon as I connect it on a network or configure the access point, it lags.

I tryed web interface at home, with my personnal PC, and it was all OK.

I can easily nano the config files of the Yun and the modifications go all right. I believe the Yun itself is working well.

@firefrench999, Okay. FYI: Your subject line is rather generic so this is likely why you did not get much response. In addition, there are quite a few Linux hacker on this forum, but not many "experts".

On your issue, first it's good to know that when the Linux part of your Yun cannot find the network it returns to it's original family setting. You can turn this off by changing some internal scripts.

To be clear on this, the Arduino Yun was never intended to be bullet proof; it is intended for hobbyist and system developers. As such, you will need to make changes and/or additions to harden your system. On this, there are plenty of people on this forum who have done this or similar.

Could you explain your end goals a bit more so we have an idea of what you are trying to do?

Jesse

jessemonroy650: On your issue, first it's good to know that when the Linux part of your Yun cannot find the network it returns to it's original family setting. You can turn this off by changing some internal scripts.

I already had this problem for another application. For this application, it is not a problem.

jessemonroy650: To be clear on this, the Arduino Yun was never intended to be bullet proof; it is intended for hobbyist and system developers. As such, you will need to make changes and/or additions to harden your system. On this, there are plenty of people on this forum who have done this or similar.

The Yun is for sure not bulletproof. I think my case might be another issue.

jessemonroy650: Could you explain your end goals a bit more so we have an idea of what you are trying to do?

I think I explained the problem pretty well in my last posts. The only problem is about the web interface luci. It works pretty well when the Yun is at factory setting. As soon as I connect the Yun on a network, the interface has some lags. You can see those lags in my first post. I can't configure anything of the Yun's wireless settings.

firefrench999: ::::SNIP::::

I think I explained the problem pretty well in my last posts. The only problem is about the web interface luci. It works pretty well when the Yun is at factory setting. As soon as I connect the Yun on a network, the interface has some lags. You can see those lags in my first post. I can't configure anything of the Yun's wireless settings.

@firefrench999, I going to ask one more time. If you don't feel like discussing your end goal, then say so. You have a right not discuss it, but getting help will be difficult. In addition, there is nothing of any relevance in your previous posts that indicate any sort of slow down - except your words in the last post "You can see those lags in my first post."

Lastly, my impression is you are not very familiar with the Linux system.

Jesse

My end goal is to get rid of these lags I keep talking about, I think it is clear enough.

firefrench999:
My end goal is to get rid of these lags I keep talking about, I think it is clear enough.

@firefrench999,
Okay. I have done what I can - may be someone else can help. You do not seem to want to fix this issue. I’ve now ask four (4) times “what is your end goal?”.

To be clear, there is a reason other than getting “rid of the lag”. The fact that you do not want to discuss is not my concern. In addition, your unwillingness to respond to your knowledge of or lack thereof of Linux leads me to believe that I will just be wasting my time on this.

Best of Luck
Jesse

jessemonroy650: @firefrench999, Okay. I have done what I can - may be someone else can help. You do not seem to want to fix this issue. I've now ask four (4) times "what is your end goal?".

@jessemonroy650

I can't answer anything else since I don't have any end goal. I had many application before that required to access web interface of the Yun. The bugs I talked about above was a problem in those applications.

jessemonroy650: @firefrench999, To be clear, there is a reason other than getting "rid of the lag". The fact that you do not want to discuss is not my concern. In addition, your unwillingness to respond to your knowledge of or lack thereof of Linux leads me to believe that I will just be wasting my time on this.

Best of Luck Jesse

Thank you for your help. Please understand that I don't know what else to answer then above : I have lags when using the Yun webserver.

I will keep this post up to date if I find a solution.