Troubles with library management in Arduino-IDE 1.8.4

Hallo,

I’ve got two problems with Arduino-IDE 1.8.4 under linux:

• Since a library update (oh god, I’ve forgotten which library, but it doesn’t matter) the library manager generated a message for an available library update. I changed to the “Library Manager”, selected the affected library and looked in the “Version Selection List”. But there was no newer version available. Maybe the manager compared the file creation/modification dates? Some/many library files in “/opt/arduino-1.8.4/hardware/teensy/avr/libraries” have the last modification date of 1979/11/30! :o Whose birthday is it??? Who has immortalized himself here? :confused:
  • One day I found the same libraries (some of them with different versions) in the installation directory “/opt/arduino-1.8.4” and in “${HOME]/Arduino/libraries”! :confused:

I think I’m not alone with this troubles!

Thanks in advance,
Michael

MickPF:
Since a library update (oh god, I've forgotten which library, but it doesn't matter) the library manager generated a message for an available library update. I changed to the "Library Manager", selected the affected library and looked in the "Version Selection List". But there was no newer version available.

Actually it does matter which library. If you would provide specific instructions for how to reproduce the issue it would make it much more likely that you get help and also make it less work for us to help you. It would only take a few seconds for you to check which library it is.

MickPF:
Maybe the manager compared the file creation/modification dates?

No, it doesn't work that way. It compares the version value found in the library's library.properties file.

MickPF:
One day I found the same libraries (some of them with different versions) in the installation directory "/opt/arduino-1.8.4" and in "${HOME]/Arduino/libraries"!

The Arduino IDE comes with a set of "Built-in" libraries so it's normal to find those in the libraries subfolder of the Arduino IDE installation. When you install a different version of one of those libraries via Library Manager it is installed to the libraries subfolder of your sketchbook folder (which I'm guessing is this ${HOME]/Arduino/libraries you mention). The library version located in the sketchbook folder will take include priority over the one in the IDE installation folder. If you turn on verbose output during compilation in your preferences and then examine the end of the output in the black console window at the bottom of the Arduino IDE window you will see a message when there are multiple files found for an include in your sketch and which of those files was used.

You haven't provided enough information for me to be able to give you a specific explanation of your problem so I'm just going to have to take a wild guess and say it's this:

you will find more information at the various other issues and pull requests references to that issue report.

Sorry to answer so late, but I don't receive any notification, if anyone answers to my posts!

For example it occures with the library "SD". The original version is installed in "/opt/arduino-1.8.x/...", while the updates are in "${HOME}/arduino/libraries".
The behavior disappeared after removing the library files in the directory "/opt/arduino-1.8.x/...".

Yep, it's [Library Manager] Perpetually updatable libraries · Issue #4189 · arduino/Arduino · GitHub.

As stated here:

The underlying problem behind that issue is being worked on and in the meantime the change that triggered the bug for the SD library has been reverted. So you won't experience the bug with the SD library but you might still encounter it with other libraries.

Hello,

yesterday I got my (first) Arduino MKR1000 and installed the tools and drivers via the "Board Manager".
Today I got the message in the IDE about updateable libraries. One of them was USBHost, which came with the board tools.
I've updated it to the newest version, but it doesn't disappear from the list for updateable libs. Because the original version 1.0 is installed in "$[HOME}/.arduino15/packages/arduino/hardware/samd/1.6.17/libraries/USBHost", while the updated version 1.0.5 is installed in "$[HOME}/Arduino/libraries/USBHost".

It's another occurrence of [Library Manager] Perpetually updatable libraries · Issue #4189 · arduino/Arduino · GitHub.

Here's the bug report specific to USBHost: