Troubleshooting an box fan motor that has slowed and now stopped.

i have a (floor) box fan that had been deteriorating for a while, it had begun to slow as if a holding screw was loose but that wasn't it.

i have now taken the whole thing apart to clean out any dust but it seems the problem is electrical.

have searched online and there were lots of indications that mentioned the capacitor as a frequent problem.

i changed the (run?) capacitor of 1.5 uF and switched it on; it spun fast for about a second, slowed then stopped totally, and now doesn't spin anymore.

does anybody have an idea of what this symptom is ?

This does not sound like an Arduino problem.

...R

Robin2:
This does not sound like an Arduino problem.

why the pedantry ?

there are many topics that are not specific to Arduino.

this is related to the workings of a motor, and if someone can give input, why not ?

BabyGeezer:
i have a (floor) box fan that had been deteriorating for a while, it had begun to slow as if a holding screw was loose but that wasn't it.

i have now taken the whole thing apart to clean out any dust but it seems the problem is electrical.

have searched online and there were lots of indications that mentioned the capacitor as a frequent problem.

i changed the (run?) capacitor of 1.5 uF and switched it on; it spun fast for about a second, slowed then stopped totally, and now doesn't spin anymore.

does anybody have an idea of what this symptom is ?

Please tell us you used an AC capacitor!

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
Please tell us you used an AC capacitor!

ahh.... that obvious, huh !

i didn't know there was a difference - i just asked the shop for a replacement, i guess they didn't know the difference either !!

The start cap should not affect the running speed.

Are the bearings OK? Try to grease the bearings and remove the cat hair.

The motor is a split-phase motor. The AC capacitor supplies a phase shifted current to a winding on the motor field. AC capacitors have a limited lifetime. A common maintenance item for that type motor.

Paul

MorganS:
The start cap should not affect the running speed.

it might be a "run cap".

MorganS:
Are the bearings OK? Try to grease the bearings and remove the cat hair.

the fan itself spins freely - the cat whiskers have long since been taken away, can't have incriminating evidence lying around for the SPCA.... :stuck_out_tongue:

Paul_KD7HB:
The motor is a split-phase motor. The AC capacitor supplies a phase shifted current to a winding on the motor field. AC capacitors have a limited lifetime. A common maintenance item for that type motor.

Paul

i see.

okay, it looks like the cause has been identified and it's just a matter of getting the right replacement.