Troubleshooting Decimilia protocol error

Hi,

Just got my Decimilia, installed the USB drivers on XP, and rebooted. When I try to D/L a sketch, I am getting these errors in the IDE. I a "USB Serial Converter" entry in Device Manager, and the IDE seems to have found it too (Under the Board menu, Decimilia was automatically selected)

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I didn't see any references for troubleshoot basic connection problems, so I'm asking for help. Have I skipped any steps?

thanls thanks

Check out the troubleshooting guide.

Check out the troubleshooting guide.

I was finally able to get communications between my laptop and the Arduino working. I had to select COM4 in the IDE. COM1 & COM3 are listed as available, but didn't work for some reason.

I had to select COM4 in the IDE. COM1 & COM3 are listed as available, but didn't work for some reason.

That's because you have the ports available, but the arduino is only connected to com4 so you have to select that one.

I had to select COM4 in the IDE. COM1 & COM3 are listed as available, but didn't work for some reason.

That's because you have the ports available, but the arduino is only connected to com4 so you have to select that one.

IS that documented anywhere? Why does the IDE even show the other ports then????????????

It's a good question. The getting started guide for Windows does explain that you need to pick the port, and shows how you can find the right one in the Device Manager.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any good way to automatically figure out which port is your Arduino. If anyone knows of a Windows API to find out what kind of device is on which COM port, please let me know, and I'll try to incorporate it into the software.

It's a good question. The getting started guide for Windows does explain that you need to pick the port, and shows how you can find the right one in the Device Manager.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any good way to automatically figure out which port is your Arduino. If anyone knows of a Windows API to find out what kind of device is on which COM port, please let me know, and I'll try to incorporate it into the software.

The IDE had automatically selecetd the Decimilia before I made the selection. Maybe this is just the default. This is what gave me the impression that it new the hardware was there.

I would expect the IDE should easily be able to poll for those boards and know that it is connected via serial or USB.

Thanks for your help!

If anyone knows of a Windows API to find out what kind of device is on which COM port, please let me know, and I’ll try to incorporate it into the software.

mellis, if you know the device ID you can find the com port for a driver by looking in the registry. The format of this info is as follows: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum%Enumerator%%Device_ID% %Instance_ID%*Device*

The FTDI install will create the following windows registry key Enumerator:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum*FTDIBUS*

The Device_ID for the driver included with Arduino 010 is: VID_0403+PID_6001. You may need to enumerate subkeys if there is more then one Device_ID because the install will concatenate an identifier string to the end of this. On my XP machine, the Device_ID is VID_0403+PID_6001+A20e1KFTA

There will be one or more Instance IDs, but usually there will be only one, named 0000.

The subkey under that, called **Device Parameters **contains a key named PortName that contains the com port as a string.

PnP enumerations are a black art that I have thankfully been able to avoid so I am not sure I can provide any more guidance but I hope that helps.