Trying to add a button to cycle through the effects on ws2818b led strip with arduino uno

As the title says, I want to add a button that cycles through the effects on this code. Since all the effects are in the loop they are just cycling through it. I tried to research but failed to find something good that I needed specifically. If possible is there a way to code another button to turn off and turn on the led strip? I just started using Arduino so I'm a newbie in this community and needs help.

#include <FastLED.h>

#define LED_PIN     5
#define NUM_LEDS    14
#define BRIGHTNESS  64
#define LED_TYPE    WS2811
#define COLOR_ORDER GRB
CRGB leds[NUM_LEDS];

#define UPDATES_PER_SECOND 100

void ChangePalettePeriodically()
{
    uint8_t secondHand = (millis() / 1000) % 60;
    static uint8_t lastSecond = 99;

if( lastSecond != secondHand) {
        lastSecond = secondHand;
        if( secondHand ==  0)  { currentPalette = RainbowColors_p;         currentBlending = LINEARBLEND; }
        if( secondHand == 10)  { currentPalette = RainbowStripeColors_p;   currentBlending = NOBLEND;  }
        if( secondHand == 15)  { currentPalette = RainbowStripeColors_p;   currentBlending = LINEARBLEND; }
        if( secondHand == 20)  { SetupPurpleAndGreenPalette();             currentBlending = LINEARBLEND; }
        if( secondHand == 25)  { SetupTotallyRandomPalette();              currentBlending = LINEARBLEND; }
        if( secondHand == 30)  { SetupBlackAndWhiteStripedPalette();       currentBlending = NOBLEND; }
        if( secondHand == 35)  { SetupBlackAndWhiteStripedPalette();       currentBlending = LINEARBLEND; }
        if( secondHand == 40)  { currentPalette = CloudColors_p;           currentBlending = LINEARBLEND; }
        if( secondHand == 45)  { currentPalette = PartyColors_p;           currentBlending = LINEARBLEND; }
        if( secondHand == 50)  { currentPalette = myRedWhiteBluePalette_p; currentBlending = NOBLEND;  }
        if( secondHand == 55)  { currentPalette = myRedWhiteBluePalette_p; currentBlending = LINEARBLEND; }
    }
}

void SetupTotallyRandomPalette()
{
    for( int i = 0; i < 16; i++) {
        currentPalette[i] = CHSV( random8(), 255, random8());
    }
}

void SetupBlackAndWhiteStripedPalette()
{
    fill_solid( currentPalette, 16, CRGB::Black);

currentPalette[0] = CRGB::White;
    currentPalette[4] = CRGB::White;
    currentPalette[8] = CRGB::White;
    currentPalette[12] = CRGB::White;

}

void SetupPurpleAndGreenPalette()
{
    CRGB purple = CHSV( HUE_PURPLE, 255, 255);
    CRGB green  = CHSV( HUE_GREEN, 255, 255);
    CRGB black  = CRGB::Black;

currentPalette = CRGBPalette16(
                                   green,  green,  black,  black,
                                   purple, purple, black,  black,
                                   green,  green,  black,  black,
                                   purple, purple, black,  black );
}

const TProgmemPalette16 myRedWhiteBluePalette_p PROGMEM =
{
    CRGB::Red,
    CRGB::Gray, 
    CRGB::Blue,
    CRGB::Black,

CRGB::Black
};

Hi,

The easiest way to use buttons is probably to use the "button library"
see: GitHub - madleech/Button: Button is a tiny library to make reading buttons very simple. It handles debouncing automatically, and monitoring of state.

1 Like

do you know how to add them like between each effects?

If you try creating a simple sketch which uses a button (just turning a led on/off or something simple) then when you get a feel for how this all works you can look at adding this in to your above sketch

Yes, a button can switch between the patterns. Yes, a button can switch the LEDs in and off. You don't need a library for something as simple as a button.

For further help, post your complete code.

I don't know how to add in that code..... the other code that I posted, I got help from one of my friends but they are busy right now

That's ok, we have lots of other newbies to help while you wait for your friends.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.