Trying to add a button to cycle through the effects on ws2818b led strip with arduino uno

As the title says, I want to add a button that cycles through the effects on this code. Since all the effects are in the loop they are just cycling through it. I tried to research but failed to find something good that I needed specifically. If possible is there a way to code another button to turn off and turn on the led strip? I just started using Arduino so I'm a newbie in this community and needs help.

#include <FastLED.h>

#define LED_PIN     5
#define NUM_LEDS    14
#define BRIGHTNESS  64
#define LED_TYPE    WS2811
#define COLOR_ORDER GRB
CRGB leds[NUM_LEDS];

#define UPDATES_PER_SECOND 100

void ChangePalettePeriodically()
{
    uint8_t secondHand = (millis() / 1000) % 60;
    static uint8_t lastSecond = 99;

if( lastSecond != secondHand) {
        lastSecond = secondHand;
        if( secondHand ==  0)  { currentPalette = RainbowColors_p;         currentBlending = LINEARBLEND; }
        if( secondHand == 10)  { currentPalette = RainbowStripeColors_p;   currentBlending = NOBLEND;  }
        if( secondHand == 15)  { currentPalette = RainbowStripeColors_p;   currentBlending = LINEARBLEND; }
        if( secondHand == 20)  { SetupPurpleAndGreenPalette();             currentBlending = LINEARBLEND; }
        if( secondHand == 25)  { SetupTotallyRandomPalette();              currentBlending = LINEARBLEND; }
        if( secondHand == 30)  { SetupBlackAndWhiteStripedPalette();       currentBlending = NOBLEND; }
        if( secondHand == 35)  { SetupBlackAndWhiteStripedPalette();       currentBlending = LINEARBLEND; }
        if( secondHand == 40)  { currentPalette = CloudColors_p;           currentBlending = LINEARBLEND; }
        if( secondHand == 45)  { currentPalette = PartyColors_p;           currentBlending = LINEARBLEND; }
        if( secondHand == 50)  { currentPalette = myRedWhiteBluePalette_p; currentBlending = NOBLEND;  }
        if( secondHand == 55)  { currentPalette = myRedWhiteBluePalette_p; currentBlending = LINEARBLEND; }
    }
}

void SetupTotallyRandomPalette()
{
    for( int i = 0; i < 16; i++) {
        currentPalette[i] = CHSV( random8(), 255, random8());
    }
}

void SetupBlackAndWhiteStripedPalette()
{
    fill_solid( currentPalette, 16, CRGB::Black);

currentPalette[0] = CRGB::White;
    currentPalette[4] = CRGB::White;
    currentPalette[8] = CRGB::White;
    currentPalette[12] = CRGB::White;

}

void SetupPurpleAndGreenPalette()
{
    CRGB purple = CHSV( HUE_PURPLE, 255, 255);
    CRGB green  = CHSV( HUE_GREEN, 255, 255);
    CRGB black  = CRGB::Black;

currentPalette = CRGBPalette16(
                                   green,  green,  black,  black,
                                   purple, purple, black,  black,
                                   green,  green,  black,  black,
                                   purple, purple, black,  black );
}

const TProgmemPalette16 myRedWhiteBluePalette_p PROGMEM =
{
    CRGB::Red,
    CRGB::Gray, 
    CRGB::Blue,
    CRGB::Black,

CRGB::Black
};

Hi,

The easiest way to use buttons is probably to use the "button library"
see: GitHub - madleech/Button: Button is a tiny library to make reading buttons very simple. It handles debouncing automatically, and monitoring of state.

1 Like

do you know how to add them like between each effects?

If you try creating a simple sketch which uses a button (just turning a led on/off or something simple) then when you get a feel for how this all works you can look at adding this in to your above sketch

Yes, a button can switch between the patterns. Yes, a button can switch the LEDs in and off. You don't need a library for something as simple as a button.

For further help, post your complete code.

I don't know how to add in that code..... the other code that I posted, I got help from one of my friends but they are busy right now

That's ok, we have lots of other newbies to help while you wait for your friends.