Trying to extend the board LED's out of enclosure

So I have a project I finished, installed everything into a small enclosure, but only opening at the moment is for the cabling. I would like to install a few status LED's on the enclosure, so I know things are working and the current status of the board and relay.

I found plenty of tutorials on how to control the on board LED(13) on the uno, but would like to extend all the on board LEDs outside the enclosure.

Is there a tutorial on that or guide on doing that?

Have you considered light pipes?

I had not considered that, but like the idea.. but how exactly would you attach/secure those to the board and direct them out of the enclosure.

Havel you looked at led bezels?
Ebay

that would be how I install on the enclosure, but I guess my question is how can I "access" the onboard leds via pins or whatever in order to light up the enclosure leds.

Does that make sense? on the boards there are SMT leds for the power, rx, tx and just an led on pin 13, I want to "extend" those out so I can have those 3 or 4 LEDS on the enclosure so I can see what is happening with the board.

The light pipes look like a possible solution, but how would they attach to the existing board?

Have you ever used DuPont connectors: Connectors

But how would I connect those to the existing onboard LED's? Since they don't have actual pins to connect to? Ill try and take a pic of what im referring to and what im trying to accomplish.

Well, the power LED is nothing more than a LED and resistor in series, connected across the 5 V supply. The pin 13 LED is a bit more tricky on a UNO, but is essentially similar to a LED and resistor in series, connected between pin 13 and ground. The TX and RX LEDs do not correspond to any pins on the headers.

You do not simply connect LEDs in parallel with those on the board. You could unsolder each LED and connect external LEDs to the pads on which they were mounted, but that sounds very messy. You can - with due skill - solder external LED/ resistor combinations to the points on the PCB where each LED plus resistor presently connects. Obviously you do need to identify those connection points carefully. (In fact, the power and pin 13 LEDs connect to ground, and the others to Vcc via the resistors, so that is easy enough; you only need to identify three special connection points.)

As to the light pipes, you merely drill a hole in your casing directly above each LED, push the light pipe down through the hole and cut it to length if necessary with a very sharp craft knife.

Here is how I make chassis connections to LEDs.
I sometimes solder the LED series dropping resistor in one of the pig tail wires and add heat shrink.
You can solder the assembly into holes on the board or butt solder them to pads on the PCB.
You can also add header pins to the PCB then plug the LED assembly on to the header pins.

Note: the ProMini is just for show, you need a LED series resistor.

2016-01-15_16-19-03.png

You do have pin access to the TX and RX pins on many types of Arduino (UNO, MAEGA, MICRO etc), but these are not the same signals that drive the TX and RX leds and there are two problems using them. One problem is that drawing enough current to light an led could prevent the serial signal from being transmitted/received accurately. The second problem is that the signals might be too short in duration to give a clear indications, especially at higher baud rates.

You could maybe make a breakout board using a tiny45/85. The tiny could use 2 inputs to monitor the TX & RX lines and 2 outputs to drive leds. A short sketch would be loaded into the tiny to detect actuvity on the TX & RX lines and blink the leds.

Paul