trying to program Arduino ISP ATMEGA32U4

Its classed as a "compatible Teensy Tiny"

Firstly, If I'm in the wrong place I apologise and if I'm asking the wrong questions I again apologise, my knowledge of these things is ZERO, its a project I spotted which would be useful and I can solder but using these boards is new to me.

Here's the board

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352722795632

I need to write a hex file / firmware to the board

I got avrdude and entered a supplied commandline under Win 7 X64

avrdude -c avr109 -p m32u4 -P /dev/tty.usbmodem411 -v -U flash:w:swc_usb.hex:i

Avrdude spat out an error re the usbmodem....

I got no drivers with the item and upon reading a help file it said if its been ran from usb then use -P usb but that spat out errors.

Could someone please help the village idiot do this. When I connected the board with the mini USB lead it claimed to recognise it, something about a USB input device. That was after I pressed the button to stop it flashing as I'd read that activated a bootloader which I thought meant it could be recognised.

Now the guy uses a python script to send files to this when its flashed and I'm again a newb to python but researching the avrdude error it said something about Pyserial and click which somehow I managed to install with Pip but beyond that I'm lost. I looked in the device manager and there's no com ports at all.

Help...puhlease :slight_smile:

Once done I'll never come back, that's a promise :slight_smile:

Paul....Utterly confused...

That board is not a 32u4, (nor is the teensy).

You must have an external programmer in order to burn bootloader on boards that require it, it can never be done with just the board itself (as far.as I know - certainly not on any official boards). Different procedure is needed for different architectures; the procedure for a teensy is totally different than for a 32u4 based board or other classic avr (including different hardware - hardware required is specific to the architecture). Boards that require a bootloader for normal uploads are almost universally sold.with this driver installed - the fact that yours.doesnt.appear to have this leads me to suspect that the board.does not have drivers installed; it would be very surprising if it was not bootloaded already.

DrAzzy:
That board is not a 32u4, (nor is the teensy).

Am I missing something? This is a photo from the eBay listing and it sure looks like a 32U4-
Capture.jpg

The Teensy 2.0 does use the 32U4, and this board looks like copy of that.

Capture.jpg

Unfortunately, the Teensy 2.0 is one of the few Teensys I don't own, so I can't provide specific instructions. My advice is:

• Install Teensyduino: Teensyduino - Add-on for Arduino IDE to use Teensy USB development board
  • Start Teensyduino
  • Connect the Teensy 2.0 board to your computer with a USB cable
  • Tools > Board > Teensy 2.0
  • Tools > Port > select the port of your Teensy 2.0
  • File > Preferences
  • Check the box next to "Show verbose output during: upload" (but leave the "compilation" box unchecked).
  • Click the "OK" button.
  • Sketch > Upload
  • Wait for the upload to finish.

Now examine the contents of the black console window at the bottom of the Arduino IDE window to see the command used to upload the compiled binary to the Teensy. You can copy that command, modify it to upload your .hex file instead, then run it from the command line.

On the ATmega32U4-based Arduino boards, the board must be reset to activate the bootloader before starting an upload. The Arduino IDE does this automatically. When you run an upload from the command line, you need to press and release the reset button immediately before starting the upload. I know that the Teensy boards have a fairly different system of uploads, so I don't know if that applies to the Teensy 2.0. I see the Teensy 2.0 doesn't have the special bootloader chip like the more modern Teensys, so maybe its upload method is more similar to the regular Arduino boards.

Thank you all, I was pointed to a program that did the flash, so thank you all for looking..

Now I'm stuck on the Pyton side as the guy uses a script to communicate with the device but I been tinkering around with Python and Pyserial trying to find out how it sends to USB but every script sends a wobbler about not being able to find some \de\usbtty thing which I have no clue as yet in how to set that up..

But I doubt that's something for on here so I thank you for getting the flash done...All I need to do now is become intelligent and get the script working

:slight_smile:

I'm glad to hear you had success with the flashing part!

I hope you'll end up changing your mind about that "I'll never come back, that's a promise" thing. This stuff is a lot of fun and we're always here to help out if you end up with questions.

Hi pert,

It was meant in a kind "not wanting to bother people" way, being not technical in this stuff (even though I ran an electronic branch of a now dead famously retailer) make me nervous to be careful about asking stuff that may be seen as OT.

I can build stuff but never entertained any programming language other than 6502 so things like Python are really an unknown to me as as I'm not getting any younger its not something I'll get right in to.

I just saw this little unit featuring one of those boards that interfaces with a COM port on a device and sends old console games to it. I knew I could do the building but wasn't expecting the Python and USB stuff to be so complicated..

I just hope when its built and linked then it will all configure and the python script will then work...

I'm just not very trusting about that :slight_smile:

But thank you for the welcome and the message, I'll check back if anyone can help on the python side, I live in hope :slight_smile:

Paul.