Trying to program Atmega328p-pu with UNO

Hi everyone I am trying to program a boot loader onto the Atmega328p-pu using the arduino UNO as a programmer. I have set up the arduino following the arduino to breadboards tutorial except I used a 16Mhz resonator instead of a crystal so I have connected the middle leg to ground and the outer legs to pins 9 and 10 of the Atmega

I am a bit confused from reading far too many tutorials on this subject.

Firstly, is it even possible to burn the boot loader using this method? I have read several posts saying that the only issue is the auto reset on the UNO and you need a 120ohm resister to bridge it. However none of the tutorials seem to cover exactly my situation.

Anyone who has successfully done this? Thanks Steve

Firstly, is it even possible to burn the boot loader using this method?

Yes, many do it all the time.

I have read several posts saying that the only issue is the auto reset on the UNO and you need a 120ohm resister to bridge it.

Using a 100-110 ohm resistor or a 10ufd or so cap jumpered between the reset pin and ground seems to be a requirement for most Uno boards. You do that after you have already uploaded the arduino as isp sketch into the uno board. However none of the tutorials seem to cover exactly my situation.

Yours doesn't sound like a different situation to me?

Anyone who has successfully done this?

No, soon after I got my first arduino almost 3 years ago (before the arduino as isp sketch was developed) I bought a $20 USBtiny hardware programmer for burning bootloaders. Works great but costs $22 now. ;) http://www.adafruit.com/products/46

Lefty

Thanks for the reply
Although I was hoping for confirmation from someone who had actually used the same method as I am.
While it may not sound different to what others have done, I have seen no post stating they are using an uno and programming an atmega328p-pu on a breadboard so thats why I was a little hesitant about it.

I don’t want to cause any irrepairable damage to my original board unintentionally.

I also in my googling self help search came across several posts that said you cannot use the uno to program a bootloader and it states that on the tutorial here http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard so I wasn’t positive it would work.

Thanks for the confirmation though. I will add the resistor and try it and see if I am successful.

Is there an easy way to confirm while it is connected that you were successful or do you need to remove the chip, insert it in your uno and upload a sketch to it to confirm?

Thanks

retrolefty: Using a 100-110 ohm resistor or a 10ufd or so cap jumpered between the reset pin and ground seems to be a requirement for most Uno boards. Lefty

That would be between reset and 5v too wouldn't it?

No1Daemon:

retrolefty: Using a 100-110 ohm resistor or a 10ufd or so cap jumpered between the reset pin and ground seems to be a requirement for most Uno boards. Lefty

That would be between reset and 5v too wouldn't it?

Yes, I was in error,both connect from reset pin to +5vdc. Again I've not had to do that as I use a hardware programmer and one of the boards I own, a Seeeduino mega, has a manual switch to enable or disable the auto-reset function, very handy at times.

Lefty

if its any help i burned the optiboot bootloader on some atmega8 and i was using an arduino duemilanove and i still had to use an resistor between the reset pin and the +5v but i was using the last sketch from here http://code.google.com/p/mega-isp/ which its not the same as the sketch that comes with the last version of the arduino ide

anyhoo the process its not different from atmega to atmega

damage to your board you can't cause :P only thing that can go wrong would be the fuse but since your using an external resonator, fuses should not be changed

Okay

That seemed to be fine. I followed a post here http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=55631.0 which suggested using the cap from reset tp ground and it seemed to complete correctly. You cannot use serial monitor while also using arduino as isp right? because it said access to com16 denied when I tried. But burning bootloader while serial monitor was closed resulted in lots of flashing lights and a message in the arduino window saying finished burning bootloader.

So its all good. Thanks

yeah its kinda PIA if you have one ftdi , i had just the ftdi that came with my arduino but i still have a pc that has a serial connector made an adapter using the max232 IC and connected the arduino the usual way via usb and the new board via the serial connector

you could buy another ftdi cable/adapter but that would cost you depending on where your living

It was pretty easy to set up. I just burnt 10 chips so I can see that lasting me for a while.

I am happy to just set it up again next time I need it.

Cheers